Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Eagles' Bartrum retires


By John McMullen
The Phanatic Magazine

Philadelphia Eagles long snapper Mike Bartrum retired from the National Football League on Tuesday.

"I can't say enough to show how much I appreciate being able to play in the NFL for so many years'" said Bartrum. "Retiring as a Philadelphia Eagle is something that is very special for me. The memories I have shared with the players, coaches and Eagles organization are some of the best memories of my life. The passion and support of the Philadelphia fans is something I will take with me wherever I go, and I feel truly blessed for having had the opportunity to play in front of them."

A 13-year NFL veteran, the 36-year-old Bartrum spent the last seven years of his career in Philadelphia after signing with the Eagles as a free agent in 2000. He appeared in 119 games (107 regular season, 12 postseason) for the Eagles, handling all long snapping duties and serving as a backup tight end and was a Pro Bowl selection in 2005.

Bartrum originally signed as a rookie free agent with Kansas City in 1993 and played in 188 games (171 regular season, 17 postseason) with the Chiefs, Green Bay Packers, New England Patriots and Eagles. Six of Bartrum�s 11 career receptions resulted in touchdowns and only one other player in NFL history -- Pats linebacker Mike Vrabel -- has as many touchdowns with less than 15 career receptions.

In his 13 seasons, Bartrum�s teams made the playoffs 11 times and appeared in two Super Bowls.

"Mike Bartrum is one of my all-time favorite guys," Eagles coach ANdy Reid said. "He is a true professional on and off the football field. He came to work every day with a true love for the game and took pride in everything he did. He will be missed by his teammates, his coaches and the rest of the Eagles organization. We wish he and his family all the best in the future."

No comments: