Friday, June 29, 2007

One Benoit mystery solved


By John McMullen
The Phanatic Magazine

Law enforcement officials were stunned to learn that someone had posted an update on the popular Wikipedia website stating that Chris Benoit missed a WWE pay per view date due to the death of his wife Nancy.

The posting was uploaded a full 13 hours before police discovered Benoit and his family dead in their suburban Atlanta home. The IP address of the posting was from Stamford, Conn., the home of WWE, and had the authorities wondering if Benoit had alerted any of his friends or co-workers after murdering his wife and before killing his young son and hanging himself.

But, it all turned out to be a hoax perpetrated by an unnamed fan . Wikipedia posted a "confession" from the person who penned the entry on Friday but kept the perpetrator‘s name private.

"I just want to say that it was an incredible coincidence,” the poster wrote. “Last weekend, I had heard about Chris Benoit no showing Vengeance because of a family emergency, and I had heard rumors about why that was. I was reading rumors and speculation about this matter online, and one of them included that his wife may have passed away, and I did the wrong thing by posting it on Wikipedia to spite there being no evidence.

“I posted my speculation on the situation at the time and I am deeply sorry about this, and I was just as shocked as everyone when I heard that this actually would happen in real life. It is one of those things that just turned into a huge coincidence.”

2 comments:

TC said...

I don't buy that excuse one minute. Someone just doesn't "lucky guess" something like that, then go and post it online in an online encyclopedia.

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Hopefully the police will check into that despite what he claims.

Plus the fact he was posting from the same area as WWE... its all WAY too coincidental for it to be a "lucky guess".

Albert Garcia said...

Yeah, right, like we would believe that crap...