Monday, March 17, 2008

Eagles officially sign Klecko

The Philadelphia Eagles made it official and inked former Temple star Dan Klecko to a two-year contract Monday.

A native of Marlboro, New Jersy, Klecko (5-11, 275) has been a part of three Super Bowl championship teams during his five year career with New England (2003-05) and Indianapolis (2006-07).

The son of legendary Jets defensive tackle Joe Klecko, Dan has seen action at defensive tackle, fullback, and linebacker during his career.

"I’ll be honest with you, I have to give all that credit to [Patriots head coach] Bill Belichick," Kleckso said of his versatility. "I wouldn’t have thought of even half the [positions] that he put me in. My rookie camp, he tried me pretty much everywhere in the front seven and at fullback. I have to give him all the credit for that, because I never would have thought of that."

Andy Reid will be simplifying things for Klecko and feels his upside resides at fullback.

"It has been something that I’ve done in the NFL all five years [of my career], so I think the transition will be easier than a lot of people think," Klecko said of playing fullback full timt. "It’s going to be a lot of hard work in changing my mentality to the offensive side of the ball, but we’ll see how it goes from there. It’s going to be an experiment for me too, so we’ll see.

A fourth round draft choice of the Patriots in 2003, Klecko has 39 tackles and three sacks on defense and four receptions for 20 yards and one touchdown on offense in 27 career games. In the Colts AFC Championship game victory versus. New England in 2007, he caught a one-yard touchdown pass from Peyton Manning.

The 27-year-old Klecko was named Big East defensive player of the year as a senior at Temple in 2002. His father, Joe, was an All-America defensive lineman at Temple and an All-Pro defensive tackle with the New York Jets.

No comments: