Friday, March 07, 2008

Shamrock returns in London

By John McMullen

(The Phanatic Magazine) - Legendary MMA star Ken Shamrock returns to action tomorrow in the main event of EliteXC's Cage Rage 25 from London.

"It's an honor to be considered a pioneer in this sport. And it is inspiring to see these young guys coming up to carry the torch," Shamrock said. "There were a couple of times when I had injuries -- one to my knee, one to my shoulder -- when I thought I would be forced to quit. But rehab got me stronger and stronger every time. I have never imagined myself retiring."

Shamrock returns to the heavyweight division to face off against the 240-pound Robert "Buzz" Berry at the top of a four-bout card to be televised immediately following the world cruiserweight title unification fight between champions David Haye (WBC/WBA) and Enzo Maccarinelli (WBC/WBA) on SHOWTIME.

When asked why he wanted to continue his Hall of Fame career, Shamrock cited the competition.

"The minute you stop, your whole life changes and it's the thrill of competition that has kept me going," Shamrock said. "When you're done as an athlete, you have to know it, and I don't know it yet."

As for Berry, he is looking to make a name on Shamrock's reputation.

"I have a lot of respect for Ken Shamrock, but when it is fight time and the first bell rings, it's time to explode," Berry said. "I have to stay within myself; my strength is that I am an all around fighter and my power is my (main) strength."

In other action, Jean Silva faces Masakazu Imanari in a featherweight title match, Pierre Guillet takes on Tom Watson in a middleweight encounter and Rob Broughton squares off with Neil Grove in another heavyweight bout.

No comments: