Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Birds have Wilson in the fold


By John McMullen

Philadelphia, PA - (The Phanatic Magazine) - Harrisburg native Kris Wilson officially signed a three-year contract with the Eagles on Wednesday.

The 26-year-old Wilson (6-2, 251) spent the last four seasons in Kansas City, where he caught 42 passes for 345 yards and four touchdowns as a tight end, H-back, and fullback.

Rumors have swirled that the Eagles would like Wilson to be their new fullback but Wilson thinks otherwise.

"I'm coming in here to play tight end," Wilson said in his introductory press conference. "My strengths are stretching the field, catching the ball, beating defenders one-on-one, mixing it up, and blocking guys; a lot of the all-around things that tight ends do. I think, at the tight end position, you have to be a jack of all trades. I think that I can mix it up and do a number of things on the field."

Wilson, who visited with Green Bay and Tampa Bay before inking a deal with the Birds, cited the Eagles recent success when asked why he felt Philadelphia was the right choice for him.

"Number one is the winning tradition," Wilson said. "I definitely wanted to go somewhere where we're going to win games. Everybody knows that in this business, winning is everything. Also, being in a good offense, a balanced attack that can kill you with the run and kill you with the pass."

Growing up an Eagles fan probably didn't hurt either.

"I'm a Pennsylvania boy," said Wilson. "I grew up in the area, I still live in the area, although I live in New Jersey now. I grew up an Eagles fan.

"The biggest thing I remember is Randall Cunningham. That was the time I was getting into football. Watching Randall, watching Fred Barnett, watching Keith Byars. Those were guys I looked up to, those were guys that I aspired to play on a level with. I used to get up Sunday morning and watch Golic’s Got It."

Wilson, who is a product of J.P. McCaskey High School in Lancaster and was originally a second round draft choice of the Chiefs in 2004 out of Pitt, also has 15 career tackles on special teams and plans on helping there as well.

"I play punt team," Wilson said. "I blocked every wing on the punt team for the last two years. I protected our punter’s foot; I was the wing on the punter’s left side for a left-footed punter. I played everywhere on kickoff return, from every position on the front line to the wedge. I've been called upon to do everything. I've run down on kickoff teams and helped out there. I haven't been on punt return team, that’s one thing I haven't done."

In 2007 Wilson registered a career-high 24 receptions for 180 yards and one score and plans on competing with L.J. Smith and Brett Celek for playing time.

"I expect to compete," Wilson said. "In competing, that’s the goal. Just for a spot in the room and to be in there and contribute and help Philly win a championship."

No comments: