Monday, March 24, 2008

Birds ink Boiman

By John McMullen

Philadelphia, PA (The Phanatic Magazine) - We reported that it was likely earlier and the Philadelphia Eagles officially signed veteran linebacker Rocky Boiman to a one-year contract. The former Notre Dame star will add much-needed depth to the linebacking corps and is also an accomplished special teams player.

"I think it was a good situation," Boiman said of signing with the Eagles. "First of all, it’s a team that is always competitive and in the hunt every year. Winning has always been the most important thing to me. As far as the position at linebacker, there is a lot of youth. I think I can come in and bring some veteran capabilities to that. I think it’s going to be a really good fit."

The 6-foot-4, 236-pound Boiman has played in 86 career games (19 starts) and nine playoff contests with Indianapolis (2006-07) and Tennessee (2002-05). Last year, Boiman saw action in all 16 games (7 starts) for the Colts, registering 64 tackles and two interceptions. In 2006, he finished third on the Super Bowl champion Colts with 17 special teams tackles.

"I started eight games, but it was always special teams and things like that," Boiman said of his role in Indy. "It was kind of whatever they needed me to do, and that’s kind of what I look to do here, just play football and whatever they want me to do is what I’m going to do.

"I haven’t had much of a chance to go in depth about the defense here," Boiman said. "I imagine a lot of things will be similar. Being in the NFC East, which is kind of a tougher division, I imagine there will be a little bit more physicality to it [than in Indianapolis], which was also something that was very enticing to me in looking to come here."

For his career, Boiman has posted 194 tackles, 5 interceptions (including one returned for a touchdown at Pittsburgh in 2003), 1.5 sacks, and 91 special teams tackles.

The 28-year-old Boiman was a 4th-round draft choice of the Titans in 2002 and set a club record with 28 special teams tackles as a rookie. He was signed as unrestricted free agent by Dallas in 2006, but was released by the Cowboys on September 2 and signed by the Colts one day later.

"I think Indianapolis was a great place for me, but I think I needed a new opportunity," Boiman added. "I think the opportunity is here. It’s a very exciting city, an exciting town, and an exciting team. I think it’s going to be a good fit for me in going through my future. It’s a one-year deal, but if things work out, I could be here for a number of years."

No comments: