Sunday, August 30, 2009

Couture signs 6-fight extension

UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture confirmed he signed a six-fight, 28-month contract extension prior to his main-event loss to Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in Portland, Ore. Saturday night.

"I think the opportunity to stay with the organization was my motivation," Couture (16-10 MMA, 13-7 UFC) said. "I think with things being the way they are, this is the place to be. I intend to finish my career here in the UFC."

The 46-year-old Couture had one fight remaining on his old deal and has had contract problems in the past, leading to a 14-month layoff less than two years ago.

If Couture were to complete the new deal, he would finish the contract at 48 years old but most UFC contracts give the company the right to jettison a figter after a loss. There is always the chance Couture could call it quits also.

"I'm going to take it one fight at a time as I did 12 years ago when I started this thing," Couture said. "I'll see where that goes. "I didn't have the outcome that I wanted (against Nogueira), but I still had a good performance, overall. I did a lot of things that I trained to do for this fight. We'll evaluate that, evaluate the training and see what fight is next and take it one at a time."

Couture certainly remains competitive but has dropped his two fights since returning to UFC, including an overwhelming loss to UFC heavyweight king Brock Lesnar. A return to the light heavyweight division could be an option.

"He's proven that he can stay in there and hang with the heavyweights if that's what he wants to do," UFC president Dana White said. "I think he's a beast at 205 pounds."

With a rematch with Lesnar out after the loss to Nogueira, Couture, who is still a drawing card, could be in the mix to fight current light-heavyweight champ Lyoto Machida.

"I'm interested in interesting fights," Couture said. "There's a lot of guys in both divisions that are interesting to fight."

No comments: