Sunday, October 21, 2007

Lesnar signs with UFC

Former World Wrestling Entertainment champion Brock Lesnar has signed a deal with the UFC.

UFC President Dana White announced the signing of the former NCAA wrestling champion during the pay-per-view broadcast of UFC 77 at the US Bank Arena in Cincinnati, Ohio on Saturday.

"I don’t think there are any other pro wrestlers that can make the transition to MMA, except for Brock Lesnar," said White. "And if you look at his amateur wrestling credentials, his size, and what he’s done, this guy can end up being a force in the heavyweight division of the UFC."

The date and opponent for Lesnar’s UFC debut will be revealed later.

A native of Webster, South Dakota who now makes his home in Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota, the 6-foot-4 , 265 pound Lesnar first made a name for himself as a wrestler at Webster High School, compiling a 33-0 record in his senior year.

That success eventually led him to Bismarck State College and the University of Minnesota, where he was a four-time All American, two-time Big Ten Champion, a second place finisher in the 1999 NCAA Championships, and the 2000 NCAA National Champion.

After finishing his college career with an astounding 106-5 record, Lesnar became a household name as a professional wrestler, and even had a short stint in the NFL with the Minnesota Vikings.

"If you want to go with the NFL of the fighting game, it’s the UFC, and it was an easy choice for me," said Lesnar. "Obviously I don’t think I’m ready for a title shot right away, but I will be there, and I’m not gonna turn down any opponent because I’m here to prove myself. I’m not here to pick and choose my fights. I’ll fight whomever they want. I don’t make the fights; that’s not my job. I’ve got one job to do and that’s to fight."

No comments: