Friday, October 30, 2009

Blanton will start in Game 4

Charlie Manuel has announced that Joe Blanton will be the starting pitcher in Game 4 Sunday night against the Yankees.

"(Lee) hasn't pitched on three days' rest, although I talked to him and he told me he had, or I thought he did," Manuel said. "I also like him in Game 5 because we've got an offday Tuesday. If it goes seven games or something, that would be on his bullpen day and he might be able to pitch or whatever ...

"I don't think he's ready for it on three days' rest. That's really pushing him because he's never done it before. If he had done it before like CC (Sabathia) has, and CC pitched consistently last year on three days' rest. I think you're taking a chance on really pushing him. He's the kind of guy that he gets into the game and with his adrenaline going and everything, and definitely we don't want to hurt him.

"And I think Blanton fits for us because I think we want to keep (J.A.) Happ in the bullpen, especially kind of in the middle where he could do some innings. Also Joe pitched last year in the World Series and he's got a little bit more experience."

No comments: