Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Jim Johnson dead at 68

The Philadelphia Eagles confirmed that Jim Johnson passed away this afternoon at the age of 68 after a courageous battle with cancer.

A veteran of 22 years as an NFL assistant, Johnson is regarded as one of the top defensive masterminds in National Football League history. Over the last decade, he gained a great deal of notoriety as the orchestrator of the renowned Eagles defense. His aggressive style kept Philadelphia at or near the top of the NFL in nearly every major defensive category since joining Andy Reid’s staff on January 22, 1999.

From 2000-08, Johnson's units ranked 2nd in the NFL in sacks (390), 3rd down efficiency (34.0%) and red zone touchdown percentage (43.9%), and fourth in fewest points allowed (17.7 per game). During his 10-year tenure in Philadelphia, the Eagles earned seven playoff berths, five trips to the NFC Championship game and one Super Bowl appearance (following the 2004 season).

As the Eagles defensive chief, Johnson's defense has produced 26 Pro Bowl selections: Brian Dawkins (7), Troy Vincent (5), Jeremiah Trotter (4), Hugh Douglas (3), Lito Sheppard (2), Asante Samuel (1), Trent Cole (1), Michael Lewis (1), Corey Simon (1), and Bobby Taylor (1).

Four of his defensive assistants have gone on to successful careers with other NFL franchises: Steve Spagnuolo (head coach of the St. Louis Rams), John Harbaugh (head coach of the Baltimore Ravens), Ron Rivera (defensive coordinator of the San Diego Chargers) and Leslie Frazier (defensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings).

Prior to his tenure in Philadelphia, Johnson served as the linebackers coach with Seattle in 1998. That year, Johnson helped the Seahawks register 10 touchdowns on defense, including eight interceptions returned for scores, 2nd most in NFL history. He arrived in Seattle after a four-year stint in Indianapolis, the last two as defensive coordinator. While with the Colts, Johnson helped them secure a berth in the AFC Championship game at Pittsburgh in 1995.

Johnson spent eight seasons with the Arizona Cardinals (1986-93). After overseeing the Cards defensive line for four seasons, Johnson excelled as their secondary coach, helping Aeneas Williams become the first rookie cornerback to lead the league in interceptions (6) since 1981.

Johnson began his coaching career as head coach at Missouri Southern (1967-68), before serving four-year tenures at Drake and Indiana. From 1977-83, Johnson served as defensive coordinator and assistant head coach at Notre Dame, a stint that included a national championship in 1977.

An all-conference quarterback himself at Missouri (where he played in the same backfield with long-time NFL executive Bill Tobin), Johnson went on to spend two seasons with Buffalo as a tight end (1963-64).

Johnson is survived by his wife, Vicky, two children, Scott and Michelle, and four grandchildren, Katie, Justin, Brandon, and Jax.

"For ten years, Jim Johnson was an exceptional coach for the Philadelphia Eagles, but more importantly, he was an outstanding human being," said Eagles Chairman Jeffrey Lurie.
"As an integral part of the Eagles family, Jim epitomized the traits of what a great coach should be - a teacher, a leader, and a winner. He positively touched the lives of so many people in and out of the Eagles organization. It was easy to feel close to him. Our hearts go out to his wife, Vicky and his wonderful family. We will miss him greatly."

Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo: "Jim meant the world to me, both personally and professionally. I am very blessed to have had the privilege to work for him and with him. The NFL has lost a good man."

Ravens coach John Harbaugh: "I loved Jim Johnson. . . . He had a special ability to bring out the best in people while getting you to see the best in yourself. He saw potential and developed it. He made me believe I could coach at this level. In football, he was a pioneering and brilliant strategist, changing the way defense is played in the NFL. For me, he was a father-type mentor, and above all, a cherished friend. He belongs in the Hall of Fame. I will miss him so much."

Eagles President Joe Banner: “This is a sad day for the entire Philadelphia Eagles family. Jim Johnson was first and foremost a friend and our hearts are with his family at this difficult time. Jim was an exceptional coach who had an incredible passion for his work. He had a knack for developing young players into mature, focused and responsible men. Jim was a strong, wise man; absolutely dedicated to his family and friends. While his presence will be missed, his legacy of excellence will be felt for years to come.”

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell: “Jim Johnson was a beloved coach who spent 22 years in the NFL as one of the best defensive coaches in league history. He was a teacher to many players both on and off the field and devoted his life to the game of football. He had a positive influence on scores of young men and leaves behind a wonderful legacy. On behalf of the NFL family, we extend our deepest sympathies to his wife Vicky and his children and grandchildren.”

Giants Head Coach Tom Coughlin: “It is a sad, very sad, day. I talked recently to (Eagles video director) Mike Dougherty and asked him to let Jim know that I was thinking about him, and I had dropped Jim a note to let him know as well. Forget about what kind of coach he was…he was an excellent, excellent defensive coach, and he trained others to be the same. We know what Steve Spagnuolo meant to us. We had great respect for Jim, and he had great respect for us. I didn’t know Jim personally, but we would always talk to each other, mostly about the NFC East and what a great, competitive division it is. It was a respectful critique about what great players, coaches and organizations there are within the division. In talking with people who worked with Jim, you sense what a class act Jim was. He was great to work with and for, and he had his priorities in order. His players loved to play for him and his coaches loved to coach with him. It is a sad day for the National Football League to lose somebody the quality of Jim Johnson. It is a sad note on which to start the season. He coached right up to the very end.”

Broncos Safety Brian Dawkins: “This is a sad, sad day for myself and my Philadelphia family. Jim was tailor-made to coach in Philadelphia. He was a tough coach who wasn’t afraid to let you know how he was feeling, but at the same time, he cared about us deeply. He was an absolute blessing to me with the way he used me on the football field and allowed me to show my God-given ability. His confidence in me meant so much—he looked to create new defenses each week to utilize my talents. I have been praying for him every day, and those prayers won’t stop now. I’ll be praying for his family and their comfort during this difficult time.”

Chargers Defensive Coordinator Ron Rivera: “Jim was most certainly a very good man; a very decent man. He was definitely a mentor, not just for me but for several guys in the league right now that are coordinators and head coaches. He was just a real caring person. He gave me my start and my opportunity. He took the time to teach me. I’m extremely grateful for everything he did for me.

“Going into my fourth year in the league, he showed me how to script (plays). He showed me how to put together a game plan. Then he’d have me write his game plan up for him and he’d ask me, ‘Why would you do this?’ He’d tell my why. ‘That’s not good enough,’ or ‘That’s a good idea.’ He was most certainly a teacher.

“Leslie (Frazier), Steve (Spagnolo) and I … we laugh about our time with Jim all the time. We were the three young guys on the staff and Jim was hard on us. I remember just after I was hired in Philadelphia, I had just finished signing my contract and he walked into my office and closed the door. He said, ‘Listen. I’m an old linebacker coach. Don’t take anything personal when I come in and take over your meetings, when I take over your drills. I can’t help myself. Don’t take it personal when I’m hard on you because I’m just trying to teach you.’ That’s exactly what he did. You take a step back and look at the success we’ve all had. The direct correlation was Jim Johnson.”

49ers head coach Mike Singletary: “I would like to express, from the 49ers organization, my condolences to the Johnson family and the Eagles family, from the 49ers family. Everything that I know about Coach Johnson, is he is from the old school. He had a way of doing things and some of the people, players, coaches that know of him, speak very highly of him.”

Vikings coach Brad Childress: “My thoughts go out to Vicky [Johnson] and the kids. Jim was a great guy to be around. A sage guy who had seen it all and he had a great way about him. [He had a] gruff way about him, but was easy to laugh with. [He] had seen so many high circumstances and low circumstances and I know he battled all the way to the end. … Just a great human being and football lost a great person and the Eagles lost a great person.”

No comments: