Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Eagles ink QB Kolb


By John McMullen
The Phanatic Magazine

The Philadelphia Eagles signed rookie quarterback Kevin Kolb to a four-year contract Wednesday.
"“Oh, I’m pumped. It was getting down to the wire and I think everyone was getting a little bit antsy," Kolb said of his contract. "I’m very excited and I know my family is as well, and I hope the Eagles are just as excited as we are.”
The deal reportedly guarantees Kolb $2.62 million, almost a 12 percent increase from the same slot last year.
“Yeah, it’s been about twelve hours so I’m not sure it’s sunk in completely yet," Kolb said of his financial windfall. "And I’m not sure it ever will. It’s nice, it’s perfect. It is a lot. To me, that shows me that they’ve opened some doors that they weren’t going to open up anymore, contract wise, and it makes me feel special. It shows me what I’ve done here so far and that they respect me, and they want me around for awhile. So, it’s a mutual feeling, obviously, and we’re very excited to be at this point.”

A second round pick out of Houston (36th overall) and the Eagles first pick overall, Kolb completed 292 of 432 passes for 3,809 yards, 30 touchdowns and just four interceptions as a senior at Houston.

Kolb was named Conference USA Offensive Player of the Year and ranked fifth in the nation in passing efficiency (162.72 rating) and sixth in passing yards (3,809). He was also a finalist for the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm award, which is given annually to the best senior quarterback in the nation.

A two-time All-Conference USA selection, Kolb finished his career ranked third in NCAA Division I-A history in total yards (13,715) and fourth in passing yards (12,964). He also finished as the school's all-time leader in completions (964), and attempts (1,565), and ranked second in passing touchdowns (81).

With the signing, the Eagles now have every player from their 2007 draft class under contract.
"I’ve talked to a lot of people including the veterans and people around the city," Kolb said about training camp. "They’ve said, ‘Just get ready.’ It’s exciting, and at the same time it kind of gets you amped up for practice. When you’re doing two a days for 17 days in a row you can get in a lull, and that’s where the fans come in and they help you. You push through those times and realize what you’re out there for and get some energy in the air.”

No comments: