Thursday, November 26, 2009

Iverson announces retirement; lauds Philadelphia

Philadelphia, PA (The Phan) - Perennial All-Star guard Allen Iverson has announced his his intenion to retire after a stellar 14-year career in the NBA.

Iverson, who was close to signing with the New York Knicks last week, will formally announce the retirement in the near future.

"I always thought that when I left the game, it would be because I couldn't help my team the way that I was accustomed to," Iverson said in a statement on media personality Stephen A. Smith's official website. "However, that is not the case. I still have tremendous love for the game, the desire to play and a whole lot left in my tank."

Iverson, 34, began the season with Memphis but was subsequently released after three games following public complaints regarding playing time and his role as a bench player.

The 34-year-old veteran started last season with Denver but was traded to Detroit on November 3 after just three games and played 54 games with the Pistons. His season was curtailed by a back problem, and he averaged 17.5 points, 5.0 assists and 3.0 rebounds in a combined 57 games, including 53 starts.

"Stepping away from the game will allow me to spend quality time with my wife and kids," Iverson said in the statement. "This is a reward that far exceeds anything that I've ever achieved on the basketball court."

Denver acquired Iverson from Philadelphia in December 2006, and he spent the remainder of that season and one full year with the Nuggets before last November's deal.

The former Georgetown star, who was the top overall pick in the 1996 NBA Draft, played his first 10 full seasons with Philadelphia, leading the 76ers to the NBA Finals in the spring of 2001. He was the league MVP for the 2000-01 season.

"To the city of Philadelphia: I have wonderful memories of my days in a Sixers' uniform," Iverson said. "To Philly fans, thank you. Your voice will always be music to my ears."

Coming into this season, Iverson had the fifth-highest regular season per-game scoring average of all-time at 27.0 and the second-highest playoff average with 29.7. He also averaged 6.2 assists and 3.7 rebounds in 889 games -- 877 starts -- with Philadelphia, Denver, Detroit and Memphis.

No comments: