Wednesday, March 18, 2009

COAFA: A Brief Diversion

Confessions of a Fantasy Addict is the Phanatic’s blog documenting the 2008 Fantasy Baseball season of an obsessed gamer with weekly, if not more often, updates. “Greg” doesn’t claim to be an expert. As a matter a fact, it’s advised that you do the complete opposite of him if you want to succeed. Basically, the idea of this blog is to let you inside the world of a fantasy addict.

Well, with the NCAA Tournament upon us, I am not focusing as much on baseball this week as I have been doing some college basketball research instead.

Admittedly, I have not watched much college basketball this season and am suffering because of that right now.

I’ll give you a brief rundown of my bracket and the thought processes behind it.

First I go through and rank who I think the best one seeds and two seeds are. Why? I will pick the weakest to lose first. Therefore, I ranked UConn, which enters the tournament struggling, the fourth one seed and Michigan State the weakest two seed. Now, I don’t eliminate them obnoxiously early, but I do have MSU losing to USC in the second round and UConn losing Washington in the Sweet 16. Why the Sweet 16? I don’t think UConn will beat Memphis, so I’m rolling the dice on the points and taking Washington.

So my Final Four looks like Memphis, Louisville, UNC and Pitt. Ipicked UNC to win it all over Memphis. I really want to pick Pitt, but I just don’t have faith that they have a player to go to in the clutch when they need a bucket. I also think Louisville will run out of steam.

I do like the Big East to make a splash despite not having the National Champion. I like Villanova, Syracuse and West Virginia to join Pitt, UConn and Louisville in the Sweet 16. All but UConn and the ‘Cuse make it to the Elite 8. The Orange just doesn’t have the legs to make another serious run.

I’m planning on joining at least two, maybe three, pools. The format I like the most is the one where you multiply the seed by the round for the point total. Just adds a little more excitement for me.

As a result I picked two 12 seeds, Western Kentucky and Arizona to win first round ga
mes. I also jumped on 10 seeds Maryland and USC.

Again, I haven’t watched many games this season and am not going to give you any kind of legit breakdown. I’d like to, but I’m not going to fake the funk and trick you.

Basically, the tournament is scratching an itch I have and at least giving me one weekend of fun.

PS – I joined a third baseball league. This one is a $25 entry fee. The draft is next Wednesday and I’ll let you know how it goes. My first draft is this Saturday night (remember, I am skipping out on my brothers engagement party early of it).

No comments: