Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Drug deler apologizes to Buckhalter

Convicted drug delaer Styles Beckles has apologized to Correll Buckhalter for a written statement claiming that the ex-Eagles running back routinely purchased high-end marijuana from him.

"I want to apologize to Correll Buckhalter and [former Temple and Philadelphia Soul player] Keita Crespina for any personal or professional embarrassment I may have caused them," Beckles said in a statement released by his lawyer.
"I [was] coerced and manipulated into making a statement implicating these two gentlemen as purchasers of marijuana. The State Police wiretapped my phone, listened to every phone conversation I [had] in [D]ecember 2005 and January 2006 and twisted those conversations out of context to convince a judge I was a drug dealer. Nothing could be furthe [sic] from the truth.

"I never sold marijuana to Correll Buckhakter. The police listened to one conversation I had with Correll and decided it was about marijuana. Its [sic] not the truth. I have never sold, talked about selling or given marijuana or anything else illegal to Correll Buckhalter.

"I went to Temple University with Keita Crespina. Again, the police listened to a lot of private phone converstaions [sic] I had with Keita, twisted the conversations into something tehy [sic] were not and used erroneous conclusions about those conversations to convince a judge I was a marijuana dealer. Nothing could be further from the truth. I have [not] sold or given anything illegal to Keita.

"I hope Correll and Keita will accpet [sic] my apology. You do not deserve this. My life has been a real life version of ‘Enemy of the State’ since my arrest on February 1, 2006. And my life has been a real life version of ‘Training Day’ since I was rearrested on April 24, 2008."

The 36-year-old Beckles, of Clifton Heights, was convicted Friday on two counts of possession with intent to deliver marijuana. Delaware County prosecutors say they will seek at least four years when Beckles is sentenced June 2.

On the stand, Beckles also denied selling marijuana to Buckhalter, despite testimony from a state trooper who said wiretap conversations and a ledger notation indicated that Buckhalter bought marijuana from the defendant.

Buckhalter, who signed with the Denver Broncos earlier this month, also denied buying drugs from Beckles and has not been charged with any crime.

No comments: