Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Phillies sign Jayson Werth...

...pending a physical. Terms were not disclosed, but if this is anything more than a one-year deal or minor-league contract, The Phanatic is thoroughly confused.

Why do we need another right-handed hitting outfielder? Especially with these stats?

More later on this deal when it becomes official.

Analysis from The Phanatic below:

Jared Trexler: Say it with me: HUH? This signing is bizarre, especially considering Werth's wrist problems. I guess he is still sorta young (27), but he missed all of last season and wasn't anything special in any campaign prior to A.J. Burnett drilling him with a heater in Spring Training during 2005. I'm assuming this could foreshadow an Aaron Rowand trade, which is not good in my opinion because Rowand is twice the player. If it spells the end of Jeff Conine then I'm fine with the signing, but I really don't think that's the case. Werth doesn't hit for power and has a .245 lifetime batting average. Wait for it, wait for it, wait for it...I'm Jayson Werth, and I'm just one more reason to believe.

Okay, cooler heads have prevailed after a cup of coffee. Werth did catch in the minors, so it's possible he is the third/emergency catcher, allowing Chris Coste/Carlos Ruiz to pinch hit without regard late in games. If the dollar amount is low the deal just constitutes as a fill-in, without much impact either way.

No comments: