Saturday, December 09, 2006

Coach Killer

By John McMullen

I handed in the keys today.

You are looking at the last person to exit the Allen Iverson bandwagon.

I've spent the last decade enabling Iverson's behavior and I have to admit I feel kind of foolish today.

The storm clouds gathered on Friday morning when the New York Post's Peter Vecsey reported that Iverson went to Billy King on Tuesday and demanded to be traded.

It quickly became clear that Vecsey was on the money with his report when Iverson was summarily dismissed from the team on Friday.

The Phanatic learned early Friday afternoon that Iverson was sent home from practice and told not to show up at the Wachovia Center for the team's game against the Washington Wizards. He was also told to not bother showing up for the club's charter flight to Orlando after the game.

The Sixers tried a cover story at first -- intimating that Iverson would be out thanks to his phantom "back spasms." That story quickly evaporated and the Sixers fessed up to what can only be described as a "suspension" without using that terminology. Although, King stopped short of confirming that Iverson asked for the trade.

Iverson then struck back with a meaningless release that was typical A.I. -- blame everyone but the guy you look at in the mirror.

"This morning, I went to the practice facility and was ready to participate in shootaround," said the wounded Iverson. " I had back spasms in the Chicago game, but felt fine today, and told our trainer that I could play. When I got onto the court, I was told that I did not need to participate, so I stood on the sideline until practice was over. When shootaround ended, I went into the team huddle. Afterwards, the head coach told me that I did not need to come to the arena tonight, or travel to Orlando."

"In my entire career, even the doctors haven't been able to tell me not to play. I've played through injury and illness. I think everyone knows how much I love being out on the court, competing and winning. That's why it was so disheartening to be told that I couldn't play, knowing that I was ready. It hurt even more to be told not to come at all."

"This season has been very frustrating for everyone. We've lost 12 of 14 games and nothing seems to be working. I have expressed my frustration to my teammates, however, I have continued to give 100 percent night in and night out. Apparently, it hasn't been enough to help our team win. As hard as it is to admit, a change may be the best thing for everyone. I hate admitting that because I love the guys on the team and the city of Philadelphia. I truly wanted to retire a 76er. "

"I appreciate that in my 11 years in Philadelphia, the fans have always stood by me, supported me, and gone to bat for me."

Wow, what a guy!

It's a shame his own actions contradict everything that spews from his mouth.

Does leaving practice last week after an argument with coach Maurice Cheeks and skipping a team bowling function for season-ticket holders later that night sound like a guy who 'continued to give 100 percent night in and night out?'

Does missing fan appreciation night last year to gamble at the Borgata sound like a guy who 'appreciates the fans who have always stood by and supported him?'

But, no matter -- A.I. is done in Philly and his legacy will not be the All-Star appearances or the MVP trophy -- it will be his legendary selfishness and his reputation as a coach killer.

If A.I. was a hunter, he would already have the pelts of Johnny Davis, RandyAyers, Chris Ford and Jim O'Brien hanging in his trophy room. Some could even argue Larry Brown lost his mojo thanks to his daily struggles babysitting the world's oldest infant.

Cheeks was sure to follow.

Now, the classy coach will at least have a chance.

And if life is fair -- the basketball gods will deliver a lottery win and Greg Oden to the City of Brotherly Love while Iverson continues to lose in the sea of despair that is Boston.

No comments: