Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Paparazzi Invades the Sports World


By John McMullen
The Phanatic Magazine


Those who know me can tell you I'm not going to be offered the Presidency of the Alex Rodriguez fan club anytime soon.

To me, A-Rod has always been the ultimate stats guy and the geeks who worship at the altar of Bill James haven't been able to convince me of his greatness.

I suppose when they can explain to me how the game's top player can go from team to team and make things worse at each stop, I will defer to their genius. Until then I will maintain A-Rod is a deeply flawed player.

But this column isn't about bashing A-Rod. It's time to defend him.

The New York Post hit a new low Wednesday when they photographed Rodriguez, who is married with a 2 1/2-year old daughter, and a buxom blond entering a Toronto hotel.

Mind you, this wasn't a product of the Post's famous Page Six gossip section that keeps you up to date on all of Britney's travails. This was smack dab on the front page and a journalistic joke by the name of Dan Mangan had all the details.

The Post's newest Pulitzer hopeful did his best National Enquirer impression by letting us know the duo dined at a pricey steakhouse and then headed to a strip club before making their way to A-Rod's hotel.

Moral of the story?

It's good to be A-Rod and oh yeah...watch out Pat Burrell.

No comments: