Monday, May 07, 2007

The NBA needs more...Canadians?

Nash is the man; Clemens, Yankees make me sick; and other rantings from the week that was in sports.

By Greg Wiley
The Phanatic Magazine

That's right and Steve Nash is proof.

In Sunday's Western Conference semifinal game he collided heads with San Antonio's Tony Parker with just under three minutes to play. Right after it happened, Parker, a Frenchman, fell to the floor and observers thought that Parker might have received the worse of the ordeal.

However, it was Nash who was left with a gash on the bridge of nose that eventually needed stitches to close. Nash gave it a go, playing the next two minutes, but he wasn't able to play the final minute or so because the bleeding just wouldn't stop.

Now that's heart -- not like Parker, who was left with only a bump, and all those other Europeans who stay on the floor rolling around after a foul.

Parker needs to remember that it's his future wife who is in Hollywood, not him.

The NBA has turned more and more to Europe in recent years to find talent. While it has worked to bring the level of play up, it has failed in that more and more players are taking soccer-like dives. I noticed this more this year and if it keeps up the league might have to address it. Don't get me wrong, American-born players are just as annoying, checking their head three times for blood and crying to the official every time they are looked at by an opposing player in the lane.

The league did a good job early in the year cracking down on the player back talk. I mean who wants to pay $300 or more to sit courtside and listen to Kobe Bryant cry that he was touched every time he goes to the lane.

The Rocket needs to fly away


Roger Clemens' seventh-inning announcement Sunday during the Yankees' game made me sick. The fact that the Yankees and Clemens think so much of themselves that they literally go public with the signing during the game to the fans was something made for the movies not reality. I was waiting for Joe Torre, Brian Cashman and George Steinbrenner to break out into a song and dance.

To be honest though, I'm glad Clemens signed with the Yankees, because the bigger they are the harder they fall, and who does America like to watch fall more than the Yankees.

In my opinion, this move will backfire big time on the Bombers. Clemens does bring much-needed experience to the Yanks' struggling rotation, but he is not a savior -- no matter how much he thinks he is.

It's one thing to go to the National League and shine in half a season, but it's not the same in the American League. Besides, Clemens isn't going to pitch out of the bullpen and that's where the Yankees really need help. A rotation of Mike Mussina, Andy Pettitte and Chein-Ming Wang would have been fine in the long run, but when Torre has to continually turn to Scott Proctor,
Mike Myers and Kyle Farnsworth, holding on to a lead becomes the difficult part.

Myers' Music

Now that Brett Myers has been named the closer for the Phillies, it's time to come up with his entrance song. "Enter Sandman" is used by former Phillies closer Billy Wagner and the Yankees' Mariano Rivera, so that's out. "Hell's Bells" belongs to San Diego Trevor Hoffman and Mitch Williams owned "Wild Thing."

Maybe he can go with a James Brown song as the "Godfather of Soul" was also known for beating his wife.

Pony up

I would like to thank the 18 or so horses who decided to move away from the rail and allow Street Sense to virtually coast from the back of the pack to the front during Saturday's Kentucky Derby, as it cost me a chance at a nice little payday.

I honestly only wager a couple of times a year and the Derby is one of those times. This year I put $25 on local horse Hard Spun, who led for nearly the entire race, until the seas parted for Street Sense. I have a feeling though that if I put my money on Street Sense he would've gotten
pinned inside the masses and never would've made that push.

Jinx Young

For all those Titans fans out there, quarterback Vince Young is the cover player for EA Sports Madden NFL 2008. Looks like Tennessee needs to sign a good backup as the jinx has moved to the Music City.

You know you're on my fantasy baseball team if...

From time to time I'm going to steal (I mean borrow) the comedy of Jeff Foxworthy for this section.

You hit behind Albert Pujols and go through an 0-for-23 slump. -Scott Rolen

Fantasy Blues

I'm going to spare you the painful details, but just to give you an idea of how my fantasy baseball season is going, I'm relinquishing the decision making to my 3-year-old son. I'll narrow the choices to two and let him pick the player I either start or pick up. It's unclear at this point if I'm going to let him pull the trigger on any trades. I'll let you know next week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

the NBA needs more Canadians, and the Phanatic needs more...Herpen!!

Anonymous said...

The Yankees make me sick, they are ruining the sport.

Anonymous said...

the NBA needs more Americans, and Brett Myers' theme song should be "Hit me baby one more time"

Anonymous said...

no word on the fight this weekend? i'd like to hear wiley's take on it!