Monday, May 14, 2007

420 Friendly?


By John McMullen
The Phanatic Magzine
Ricky Williams can't stop smoking weed and I can't stop not caring about it.

You might think that makes me a charter member of the 4:20 fan club but nothing could be further from the truth. I can pass any Phanatic Magazine drug test without the help of 'The Original Whizzinator" my buddy Onterrio Smith tried to make famous.

I do advocate the legalization of marijuana, however...

Of course my reasons are selfish as usual -- I really only want to remove it as a topic of conversion at every college campus and drum circle I have the misfortune of running across.

And as far as the NFL goes -- it just makes sense. In a league populated by thugs, pimps, drug dealers and possible murderers, I find it amusing that Ricky is the one player that nobody tries to defend.

It's not that I even think that he should be defended. A man that dumb probably deserves being banned from making the kind of living the NFL provides.

But, I can't help thinking how ridiculous our priorities as a society are when we vilify doorknobs like Ricky.

I mean are we saying Williams' love of the hippie-lettuce is far more detrimental than somebody running a prostitution ring on Craig's List?

Or somebody owning enough guns to start their own insurgency in Iraq?

How about being directly responsible for another human being paralyzed?

Or my favorite -- protecting a murderer...

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is like a self-serving politician. He has already decided his legacy -- cleaning up the abhorrent behavior in his league.

And Ricky knows the crackdown is underway.

Rape, pillage, plunder -- that might get you a year on the sidelines. Smoke some weed -- get another profession.

Makes perfect sense to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Remember...........Puff, puff, pass