Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Let’s Go Streaking

By Steven Lienert
The Phanatic Magazine

Just in case you missed it, the Mumbai Indians had an unprecedented comeback this afternoon.

They were down 79 runs and needed an improbable 14 wickets to end Kings IX Punjabi’s upset bid in an Indian Premier League cricket match, but somehow the Indians rallied for a 122-119 win.

This just a day after the Deccan Chargers blew out the Rajasthan Royals, 166-113.

Cricket…its Fan-tastic!

The reason I’m following a game I know nothing about in a league half-a-world away is the same reason I’m keenly aware that China’s curling team is better than Norway’s. ESPN’s Streak for the Cash contest.

It seems as easy as winning one of those suicide pools during football season. All you gotta do is pick a winner, whether it’s cricket, curling, soccer, hoops, hockey or how much the next NFL draft choice weighs. If you’re right, you win. You do that 27 times in a row, you’re a millionaire.

It’s like a gambler’s version of O’Doul’s. You get the thrill of betting without losing any cash. You’re probably not going to make any money, either, but how many gamblers do?

Well, I’m ESPN’s worst nightmare. Or so I thought. I’m a sportswriter/stay-at-home dad, so I have time and an inordinate amount of sports knowledge crammed into my brain just begging to win a million bucks. Besides, winning the cash would help offset the whole stay-at-home-dad debacle.

As it turns out, I’m as bad at this as I am at convincing the general public that the Sixers can’t lose Game 6 against the Magic. I’ve got a solid overall record (58-40-3 since starting in April) but I haven’t gotten past 5-in-row. And ‘in-a-row’ is the name of the game.

It’s made things a bunch more interesting, though.

Like the time I picked Tiger Woods to beat out two other schmucks in the first round of the Masters. Tiger held a one-stroke lead going into the final hole, but Tiger bogeyed and a schmuck birdied to win the round and end my streak. Tiger never chokes, but he did because the mush had something riding on him.

Or when FC Barcelona played Chelsea in the UEFA Champions League semifinal match. The question on the Streak was, “Which team will advance to the final?” I picked Chelsea. Barcelona was missing two of its starters and I had a good feeling about Chelsea. As soon as I clicked the box next to its name, the boys in blue were doomed.

Sure, Chelsea took an early 1-0 lead and clamped down defensively for the rest of the match. Chelsea dominated Barcelona for 89 freakin’ minutes. Of course, Barcelona scored in the 90th minute to tie the game and it advanced to the final because Barcelona was the away team and, for some reason, its goal counted more than Chelsea’s. Gotta love soccer.

Another streak bites the dust.

I never thought I’d ever have an opinion about either of those outcomes, but you better believe I’m clicking on Manchester United to beat FC Barcelona in the UEFA final, just like I’ll be taking Mumbai in its next cricket match.

I even had a streak end because the Texans chose former USC linebacker Brian Cushing. I didn’t lose because of the player they selected, but because Cushing weighed 249 pounds. I guessed Houston’s draft pick would weigh more than 251 pounds. I lost because Cushing decided to hold off on a couple donuts at breakfast.

That’s the beauty of the Streak. It has broadened my horizons.

Hold up… gotta run. Burnley and Reading are starting the second half of the second leg of their English League Championship semifinal. I need Burnley to pull off at least a draw to keep yet another streak alive.

I couldn’t point out Burnley on a map. Or Mumbai for that matter. All that matters is that they both keep winning.

What’s your longest streak? Think you can outlast a Phanatic? Email Lienert at stevelienert@hotmail.com.

1 comment:

Steve Grantz said...

Nice article, Steve.

Prop bet fever...catch it!