Friday, May 22, 2009

Wright talked to Sixers, staying put

Villanova coach Jay Wright confirmed he talked with Philadelphia 76ers GM Ed Stefanski about the team's head coaching job but will be staying with the Wildcats.

Wright said Friday that he met with Stefanski last week and subsequently asked to be removed from consideration.

"Last week, Ed reached out to me to see if I would be willing to speak to him about the Sixers' coaching position," Wright said in a statement. "He is a longtime friend of mine whom I have great respect for and is someone I talk to often. We had a lively conversation about the vision Ed has for the Sixers organization. As a lifelong Sixers fan, I was honored to be part of the process.

"Following our meeting, I called Ed to thank him and requested that he remove me from consideration," Wright said. "I love Villanova and it is where I want to be. I am grateful to the Sixers for including me in the process. There is a lot to look forward to for Sixer fans like me with the young talent they have put together and the leadership of Ed Stefanski."

No comments: