Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Thank goodness for '24'


By Steven Lienert

If Chuck Norris took a leak, he’d name it Jack Bauer. He’s that much of a badass.

And he’s someone that will help me make the transition from the finality of the Eagles’ season to the start of Spring Training.

It’s S-V Day plus three, and I’m still hurting. After Week 11, however, it seemed quite a long leap from the end of the Eagles’ year to the premiere of 24.

Need I remind anyone that the only team from Philadelphia to win on January 13th was the Penn Quakers? The Eagles, Flyers, Sixers, Temple Owls, Drexel Dragons, LaSalle Explorers, Villanova Wildcats, St. Joe’s Hawks and, of all teams, the Northeast College of the Blessed Shroud of the Blind and Deaf Orphans, all fell in defeat.

The Sixers and Flyers are living lost seasons. The winter looks bleak, and it hasn’t even snowed yet.

But on the 14th, Bauer rode to my rescue.

Back to the better part of the weekend, I blame myself for the Eagles’ loss on Saturday night.

I watched the game at my buddy Nacho’s house. He has an awesome projection-screen TV, but the only other game I watched there, the Birds lost to the Falcons on Opening Night in 2005.

You remember -- the night Jeremiah Trotter got into a pre-game fight with some no-name character from the Falcons that was cut two weeks later. It cost the Eagles a 14-10 loss.

So I went back there Saturday night knowing full well I was going against everything I knew was right. But I did it anyway – I sold out for the 30 pieces of silver that came in the form of a projection screen.

It was my fault – I sold out my Birds.

But I digress.

Seven scant weeks ago, I pronounced the Eagles’ season dead. I think I even used the words ‘ Done’ and ‘Kaput’. In fact, I know I did.

But that did not stop me from plunking down $412 for a pair of playoff tickets to both the NFC Wild Card game against the Giants and a possible home NFC Championship Game. (Don’t sweat it for me; half the cash will be put towards next year’s season tix!)

My friends and I were there for the Carolina game; I went down to DC for the Eagles at Skins and I actually took my wife, of all people, to the last game against the Falcons.

As the Eagles went down the stretch, I bucked every trend I ever had, including moving to the visitors side of the Linc for the Panthers’ game. Hell, when you bring your wife and your mom to an Eagles game in the same season, you are bucking some serious trends.

The Giants’ playoff game, although heart-wrenching, was exquisite from start to finish. My friend Brad and I even helped pump-up Shawn Andrews while waiting for traffic to move on Pattison Ave. a few hours before the game.

As his head bobbed to the music that was blaring in his phat BMW, he caught a glimpse of me and my boy in his rearview. He saw us pounding our chests and mouthing ‘Stomp these f%&@ers today.’ He held up his fist and gave us nod -- we knew we were good to go.

And when it was announced that The Big Kid went down with a neck contusion Saturday night, it was a stone-cold mortal lock that Scott Young would step in and become Mitch Williams.

In all seriousness, the Eagles were a flinch away from the NFC Championship Game. While it hurts, none of us actually thought they would be playing on January 13th.

My friends have tried to console me by saying the Eagles shouldn’t have been there. That I should be happy where they finished – and happy with the fight they put up.

Well, I’m not.

Instead, we are to wait for next year. Again.

The 4th and 15 punt, the screen pass to Thomas Tapeh on 3rd and 1, the drops by Brian Westbrook – they could all be pointed to as why it didn’t get done. The third-down conversions by the Saints, especially in the second half, were particularly critical.

In the end however, the Saints beat the Birds twice this year. New Orleans, despite last year’s 3-13 record, is better than the Eagles right now.

The Eagles aren’t far away. I guess I could take solace in that. But it’s been that way for five of the past six seasons.

Nah, this year the best I could hope for was a January road game in the Divisional Playoffs. We got there, but some reason, there’s a hollow feeling of dissatisfaction.

We’re Eagles’ fans – we expect more.

Jack Bauer would have wanted it that way. He’d even stay in the Chinese prison another month if it meant the Eagles would play in – and win – the Super Bowl.

Even after seeing his scars, I might spend a month in a Chinese prison if it meant a Super Bowl ring for the Birds.

After 24 years, it has become that worth it.

Commiserate with Lienert at stevelienert@hotmail.com

[Get Copyright     Permissions]
Click here for copyright permissions!

Copyright 2007
The Phanatic

No comments: