Monday, January 22, 2007

Finally I was wrong (thankfully)


Peyton's turn of fate, Chase's overpriced contract, and other spiteful ramblings

By Greg Wiley


I can't believe Peyton Manning finally did it. I can't believe he finally won the big game in the big spot. I can't believe he beat the Patriots in the playoffs. I can't believe he overcame an 18-point deficit. I can't believe he committed only one turnover. I just can't believe it.

I thought for sure that Sunday's AFC Championship Game was over when NewEngland offensive lineman Logan Mankins fell on the fumble for a touchdown midway through the first quarter. Running back Lawrence Maroney and quarterback Tom Brady muffed the handoff and the ball escapes an army of Coltsby actually squirting out of a scrum and Mankins is there to fall on it.

It was just another one of those big breaks that the Patriots seem to get in the big game. Remember in 2001 during the division round of the playoffs against Oakland when Brady was sacked and lost the ball, only to have the official overturn the call after a review and rule it an incomplete pass? That was the start of it and I thought that Sunday was going to be just another example.

I was so sure that the Patriots were going to win that game on Sunday versus the Colts after that touchdown. My confidence grew greater after a Brady pass to Troy Brown that went for 27 yards on 4th-and-6 early in the second quarter and it hit the sky when Corey Dillon ran into the end zone untouched on the very next play. I then started research Super Bowl XX after Asante Samuel returned a Manning interception for a score just two plays after the Dillon TD for a 21-3 lead, as I thought it was a lock that it was going to be a rematch between the Bears and Pats in Super Bowl XLI.

I actually started getting sick thinking of all the Brady and Bill Belichick talk I would have to hear for two long weeks leading up to the big game. I would have to hear how Belichick is such a mastermind and Brady is the greatest thing since sliced bread. PUKE! I am tired of this team!
Even as the Patriots' lead shrunk over the second half, I was certain Manning would find a way to lose. As late as that final Patriots drive with a minute left I thought for sure New England was going to win. I said all week long leading up to the game that if Brady had the ball in the final minutes with a chance for the win, New England was going to be going to its fourth Super Bowl in six years.

So you can imagine my surprise when Marlin Jackson intercepted Brady with 16 seconds to secure the Colts' 38-34 win.

Like many of the Colts after the game, I too was thanking God for the win. Even though I do realize that God has a lot more to worry about, I was still very thankful. I even went out and bought a lottery ticket, thinking that my luck has changed. It hasn't. I lost.

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't rooting for Manning and the Colts, I was rooting against the Patriots. I can't stand all the pre-snap antics of Manning. All the hand movements and fake audibles makes me car sick watching a football game. I would just as much like to see him never make a Super Bowl, because that would be a better story. But to pick between Brady and Pats and Manning and Colts, I felt like Indianapolis was the lesser of two evils. Besides, if Peyton can make a Super Bowl, there has to be some hope for Eli, who leads my Giants.

Now, how funny would it be if X-rays that were taken of Peyton's injured right hand on Monday revealed an injury that wouldn't allow him to play in the Super Bowl? Archie thought he was emotional on Sunday, wait until Tuesday when the results will be known. That will be emotional.
Imagine if Peyton can't play in the Super Bowl? He finally wins the big game in the big spot and will have to miss the game he's worked his entire life to get to. That will be funny. Think he'll sit in the TV booth with Jim Nance and Phil Simms? Probably not. But I bet he does some kind of promotional spot.

Speaking of promos, Manning will definitely cash in on this opportunity. We'll see him more in these two weeks than we have our entire lives. Manning pitching this. Manning pitching that. Manning commenting on this. Manning commenting on that. I've had enough already and it hasn't even started.

Or, this is a better scenario, what if there isn't anything wrong with Manning and he gets outplayed by Rex Grossman in the Super Bowl? Then, Manning will need to start doing those MasterCard "priceless" commercials, because that will be priceless. The talk about Peyton choking in the big spot will all start up again.

Regardless, I will be watching the game on my new 40-inch LCD flat panel TV with a new surround sound system in the newly finished basement. That is what will make it all worth it. Unless, or course, my twin 3-year-olds or 18-month-old break the TV before the game. With my luck, that will be the case and I'll be stuck watching Peyton choke on the 15-inch TV in my bedroom.
===
Here are some other random thoughts from the week that was:

I heard there was a great finish in some college basketball game somewhere.Three overtimes with some kind of acrobatic shot. Who cares. College basketball doesn't get interesting until tournament time. The NCAA created the monster that is March Madness, now they have to live with it. The regular season is meaningless...

Chase Utley signed a huge deal. Good for him. I have said that the Phillies needed to lock him up to prove their willingness to win. But I wonder, in seven years is Utley a $14 million a year player? What makes Utley special right now is he is one of the only good second baseman in a league without a wealth of talent at the position. That could change in three years...

The David Beckham talk died down quick. That's expected. Once people found out he was pals with Tom Cruise, no one wanted anything to do with him. I even heard the Galaxy tried to trade him (joking)...

Did anyone else notice that Colts wide out Reggie Wayne was doing his best T.O. impersonation on Sunday? Wayne dropped a number of balls and fell down on a couple of other routs...

Carmelo Anthony makes his return to the court for the first time since he was suspended for punching New York's Mardy Collins and running away like a girl. In what could be related news, there was a reported hit-and-run in Denver on Monday. Police ruled out Anthony as a suspect, saying that if he was involved there would have been evidence of his car going in reverse at high speeds...

Did anyone notice the NHL started its All-Star break this weekend? I didn't until Saturday. Did you know that the All-Star Game is on Wednesday (that's right Wednesday) on Vs. or Versus (formerly OLN)? I didn't. I guess I should be asking, does anyone care?...

I've started compiling my fantasy baseball player rankings for the coming year. (I know, I'm a loser but with three kids this is my one outlet.) One player who I think will have a tremendous year is Bobby Abreu. The former Phillie will be the heart of a packed Yankee lineup and is in a contract year. Someone I'm not high on is Houston's Carlos Lee. I'm never high on players after they signed a huge deal. I'm aware he is playing in a shoe box in Houston, but I see a big-time flop in his future.

[Get Copyright     Permissions]
Click here for copyright permissions!

Copyright 2007
The Phanatic

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have to be a moron to say that Utley won't be a $14 million player down the road, especially in this market.

With his contract, the Phils also bought out his three arbitration years and locked him up through four possible free-agent years.

At an average of $12.1 million per season that is less than the Dodgers paid shortstop Rafael Furcal last winter

If the market continues to spiral upward and Utley continues to climb in stature, the deal is a steal.

Anonymous said...

Chase Utley > Jose Valentin

Anonymous said...

random thoughts on Greg Wiley's column:

-The section on Manning looks long and I'm sure its interesting.

-Abreu is going to have a good year? really going out on a limb on that one. i bet LeBron James is going to score a lot of points too.

Anonymous said...

I believe I said tremendous year. Top 4 outfielder numbers. Maybe 35 HRs, 120 RBI, 30+ SB, .320 average, 115 RS. I believe that is better than just a good year.

Anonymous said...

Remember what a steal it was when the Phillies locked up Burrell a few years back...