Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Flyers sign D Marshall to entry level deal

The Philadelphia Flyers have signed 6’1”, 195-pound defenseman Kevin Marshall to an entry-level contract, according club General Manager Paul Holmgren.

“Kevin is a good, solid prospect and we are happy to have him under contract,” said Holmgren in making the announcement.

“I was surprised a little bit, but happy,” said Marshall. “At the end of last season, I practiced with the Phantoms. They said that they liked my work ethic. They were thinking about it (signing Marshall to a contract), but I was thinking that they have another year to sign me. When my agent called me, I was very happy because it shows me that they think that I am a good prospect for the Flyers, which makes me very proud.”

Marshall, 19, recorded 11 goals and 24 assists for 35 points and 143 penalty minutes in 66 regular season games for the Lewiston MAINEiacs of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League this past season. He was second on the team in penalty minutes (143) and was first among Lewiston defensemen in goals (11). He was named to the QMJHL Second All-Star Team following the 2007-08 season.

A native of Boucherville, Quebec, Marshall has been invited to participate in the Canadian National Junior Team development camp in preparation for the 2009 IIHF World Junior Championships. He will play this upcoming season for the Quebec Remparts of the QMJHL

Over three seasons in the QMJHL with Lewiston (2005-06 through 2007-08), Marshall registered 17 goals and 61 assists for 78 points and 396 penalty minutes in 196 regular season games. He was selected by the Flyers in the second round (41st overall) of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.

No comments: