Monday, January 01, 2007

Broncos' Darrent Williams Shot Dead

Denver Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams was shot and killed early Monday morning in Denver. Williams, a second-year player from Oklahoma State, was 24. Details regarding the shooting and subsequent investigation will be made available by the Denver Police Department as it deems appropriate.

“All of us are devastated by this tragedy. To lose a young player, and more important, a great young man such as Darrent Williams, is incomprehensible," said Broncos owner Pat Bowlen. "To lose him in such a senseless manner as this is beyond words. My deepest feelings, all my thoughts and prayers, go out to Darrent’s mother and family. The entire Broncos’ organization shares my grief. Darrent was a wonderful young man, and his passing is a great loss for his family, the Broncos and the city.”

“Losing a fine young man such as Darrent Williams leaves me speechless with sadness. We all know that Darrent was an excellent player, but as a person, he was a first class young man who brightened every room with his smile, attitude and personality," added Broncos coach Mike Shanahan. "I cannot express how heartsick I feel at this loss. All of our players and coaches are completely shocked by this terrible tragedy, and my deepest condolences go out to the entire Williams family.”

No comments: