Friday, July 05, 2013

Emery returns to Flyers with 1-year contract

The Philadelphia Flyers have found their goaltender to challenge incumbent Steve Mason, and keeping with recent tradition, it is a familiar name.

Minutes after the unofficial onset of free agency, the club brought back Ray Emery with a one-year contract. No financial terms were revealed, but reports indicate it's for $1.65 million.

"I'm a student of the game, and as a goalie, you are finding better techniques all the time," Emery said. "I'm excited to work with a great young goalie. I haven't talked specifics with Homer.  I skate with 'Mase' in the summer.  He's just around the corner from my place in Toronto. He’s a great young goalie and a guy who’s had success and he’s going to continue to get better.  I just look at it as kind of a tandem relationship." 

The 30-year-old was co-recipient of the Jennings Trophy for allowing the fewest total goals in the NHL, along with starter Corey Crawford on the Stanley Cup-winning Chicago Blackhawks this past season, having gone 17-1-0 with a 1,94 goals-against average and three shutouts in 21 appearances.

Emery was originally brought to Philly in the summer of 2009 on a $1.5 million, one-year contract, taking the starting job from the departed Martin Biron. However, serious hip injuries derailed his one and only season in
orange and black.

He was forced to undergo season-ending bone-graft surgery to repair avascular necrosis in his right hip in March of 2010, shortly after a bothersome left- hip injury required the team to place him on long-term injured reserve.

"It's amazing how much pain and how crazy that part was, and it's amazing how great it came back, and how I don’t notice it now," he added. "I take care of it preventatively, but I don’t notice it.  So to come from that much pain and such a crazy process coming back to feeling fine and dandy is pretty amazing for me.

It was a sudden end to Emery's first campaign back in the NHL since he was let go by the Ottawa Senators due to poor play and discipline issues following the 2007-08  season. He finished the year at 16-11-1 with a 2.64 GAA and three whitewashes.

But Emery persevered, resurfacing with the Anaheim Ducks late the following season and garnering consideration for the Masterton Trophy after going 7-2-0 with a 2.28 GAA in 10 games.

The Ontario native then hooked on with Chicago in 2011, compiling a 15-9-4 mark and 2.81 GAA two seasons ago.

"I think I’ve kind of changed my outlook. When I was younger I wanted to play all the games, and got a pouty attitude when I didn’t," Emery admitted. "Now, you start to realize that if the team is successful, that everyone does well.  It’s a better working relationship that way.  It's kind of a different philosophy.  You learn and you grow and that’s where I’m at.  It's fun having a great group of guys and everyone gets along well, and especially sharing success."

No comments: