Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Eagles WR Riley Cooper apologizes for racist statement

A video surfaced Wednesday of Eagles wide receiver Riley Cooper using a racial slur at a recent Kenny Chesney concert.

Cooper is clearly heard saying: "I will jump that fence and fight every (n-word) in here."

Cooper quickly issued a statement apologizing for the behavior.

"I am so ashamed and disgusted with myself," Cooper said. "I want to apologize. I have been offensive. I have apologized to my coach, to Jeffrey Lurie, to Howie Roseman and to my teammates. I owe an apology to the fans and to this community. I am so ashamed, but there are no excuses. What I did was wrong and I will accept the consequences."

Lurie wasn't satisfied with just an apology, however, and fined Cooper what has been described as a substantial amount.

“We are shocked and appalled by Riley Cooper’s words," The Eagles owner said. "This sort of behavior or attitude from anyone has no role in a civil society. He has accepted responsibility for his words and his actions. He has been fined for this incident."

In today's polarized society it's unlikely Cooper will be able to put this issue behind him quickly. Already Marcus Vick, the outspoken younger brother of Eagles quarterback Michael Vick, took to Twitter to lambast Cooper for his behavior.

"Riley Cooper your a fucking Bitch Boy!!!" Marcus Vick Tweeted. "Racist peace of shit."


Vick then put a bounty on Cooper:

"Hey I'm putting a bounty on Riley's head," Vick's Tweet read. "1k to the first Free Safety or Strong safety that light his ass up! Wake him up please..."

Cooper has been elevated to first-team reps since the season-ending injury to Jeremy Maclin over the weekend but it's more than conceivable he doesn't survive this scandal as a member of the Eagles.

The video of Cooper is below:






No comments: