Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Flyers' Briere added to All-Star roster

Flyers forward Danny Briere has been added to the 2011 NHL All-Star Game roster as a replacement for Calgary sniper Jarome Iginla.

Iginla was excused from the annual contest due to health concerns for his grandmother.

"It is always an honor to be part of the NHL All-Star Game but unfortunately I have to decline this year," Iginla said in a release. "I just lost my grandfather in the spring and I have learned that my grandmother is not doing very well. With the way the season goes I don't get too many opportunities to see her, and as much as I was looking forward to being in North Carolina for the All-Star Game, I just know that my mind will be elsewhere."

Briere ranks sixth in the league with 24 goals and was considered one of the biggest snubs when the initial All Star Game roster was announced. Briere will join fellow Flyer Claude Giroux and head coach Peter Laviolette as Philadelphia's representatives in the annual event.

The 2011 NHL All-Star Game will take place on January 30 at Carolina's RBC Center.

No comments: