Monday, April 26, 2010

Steelers' Roethlisberger releases statement

Embattled Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said in a statement Monday he will not appeal the suspension handed down by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

"The Commissioner's decision to suspend me speaks clearly that more is expected of me," Roethlisberger's statement said. "I am accountable for the consequences of my actions. Though I have committed no crime, I regret that I have fallen short of the values instilled in me by my family. I will not appeal the suspension and will comply with what is asked of me - and more.

"Missing games will be devastating for me. I am sorry to let down my teammates and the entire Steelers fan base. I am disappointed that I have reached this point and will not put myself in this situation again.

"I appreciate the opportunities that I have been given in my life and will make the necessary improvements."

Last week the league announced Roethlisberger had been suspended six games following the case from Georgia, in which Roethlisberger was accused of sexual assault at a nightclub. Roethlisberger was not charged in the incident, but Goodell felt his conduct "raises sufficient concerns" and could not "remotely be described as admirable, responsible, or consistent with either the values of the league or the expectations of our fans."

Goodell required that Roethlisberger undergo comprehensive behavioral evaluation as part of the suspension, which could be reduced to four games after Goodell reviews the quarterback's progress.
Post a Comment