Sunday, April 25, 2010

Kafka talks to media

On his expectations of the draft:
“I definitely had an open mind. I knew it was going to be this range, going into the draft, I didn’t know for sure but that’s what my agent told me, it would be a range between the third and the fifth [rounds]. I was just preparing for the worst and hoping for the best, and oh man, I’m so happy to be an Eagle right now.”

On whether he is prepared to play backup behind QB Kevin Kolb after being a backup to C.J. Bacher at Northwestern:
“Absolutely, I’m going to go into a system, and go in there and compete—whatever I can do to make the team better. That’s really all I can do right now. I’m going in and making sure I’m prepared and I’m working hard and do the best I can to help the team.”

On how much contact he had with the Eagles’ coaches:
“A little bit. They came to my pro day, they obviously watched me at the combine, I had a meeting with them while I was at the combine and they had a lot of their personnel there. It’s just a great organization, and a great group to deal with, and I’m so happy to be there.”

On whether he remembered specifically who he spoke to from the Eagles:
“Going around, you meet a lot of the coaches. Coach [Marty] Mornhinweg, the offensive coordinator, Coach James Urban, who is the quarterback coach, and obviously I met Coach Andy Reid when we were at the combine. Meeting all that personnel was great to get a feel for their franchise and like I said before, I’m really happen to be an Eagle.”

On whether the west coast offense was something similar to what he ran at Northwestern:
“Absolutely, that is what the basis of our offense was around as far as progressions, moving keys, reading coverages, changing your progessions and changing plays at the line of scrimmage. And doing these type of things are really going to help me prepare for the next level.”

On whether he feels he is entering a good program based upon Andy Reid’s reputation for developing young quarterbacks:
“Absolutely, I know that Coach Urban, Coach Mornhinweg, and Coach Reid all have a great reputation for developing quarterbacks and I’m happy to be a part of that group and learn as much as I can.”

On how difficult it was waiting behind Northwestern quarterback C.J. Bacher:
“It was definitely tough. Especially as a competitor, you never want to hear the words ‘be patient.’ Those were the words that Coach Fitz [Northwestern Head Coach Pat Fitzgerald] instilled in me, and really helped me throughout my career to be patient and that kind of related to what my football point was: take what they give you. Be patient. Chip away and eventually let them make the mistake. We’re going to execute as an offense. Let them make the mistakes.”

On his reaction to the Eagles trading Donovan McNabb:
“I have a lot of respect and admiration for Donovan McNabb—he’s a great player. He’s actually from the Chicago Catholic League, Mount Carmel, where I’m from, I’m from St. Rita. So we have a little bit of a connection there. It’s great watching him play, I love watching him play, and watching that offense. He’s executed that offense great. He’s a Pro Bowler, all those things, all those accolades he’s had are great and I really enjoyed watching him play and I’m happy to see him with a good team.”

On whether he is a good fit for Andy Reid’s offense because he threw the ball so much in college:
“Yeah, that’s great. That’s exactly what I look for. With the offensive line we have at Philadelphia, it’s great. I’m excited to work with those guys and get to know those guys, and get to know the whole team, and really do whatever I can to make this team better.”

On whether he has ever met QB Kevin Kolb:
“I have not.”

On whether being a mobile quarterback is something he prides himself on:
“Absolutely, I understand that I have athletic ability and I can go and make plays. At Northwestern we did whatever we had to do to win the game, and at that time, they needed me to run the ball part of my junior year. My senior year they needed me to throw the ball. So, whatever the team needs me to do, I’m going to do.”

No comments: