Sunday, December 07, 2008

This week in Philadelphia sports email chatter (Part One)

By Jeff Glauser
The Phanatic Magazine

Even in this seemingly down period in Philly sports, avid fans can always seem to find something to mull over. Case in point: My back-and-forth email correspondence with my friend Matt this week. It’s amazing how much can be covered during several minute intervals after work during my email/website “rotation.”

Here’s “Part One” of said conversation:


From: Matt
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2008 4:58 AM
To: Jeff Glauser
Subject: How goes it?

Hey Jeff,

How's everything with you, including (I hope) a good T/G weekend?

OK, on to a quick sports discussion, however one-sided right now:

College Football: No strong feelings, as I just haven't seen enough games. Do you have a preference for the title game?

NHL: Ah, too many more games left. Flyers just seem like a team that will win one, and only one, playoff series.

Sixers: Can it be that the pieces don't fit, that we still can't make an outside shot, that Sammy (LJ) Dalembert can't play, and that Iggy at 2 just doesn't work? It's way too soon to count them out, but in a slightly improved East, we better get to the all-Star break at least 5 or so games over .500.

Eagles: Okay, I never fell off the bandwagon, but I am part of the chorus who want the Reid (especially the GM/Head Coach/Playcalling Andy) era to finish here. Do I get encouraged that he changed it up w/ a balanced attack Thursday, or do I pin at least two of the losses (Chicago and chose one of Dallas, NYG, Wash) on his personnel decisions and mule-stubborn play-calling?
McNabb: I've always been a fan, but over the last two years, I've had many times where I've wanted him to move on to (Chi? Minn?) and stick it to the disturbingly high percentage of Philly fans who have underestimated how good he has been, etc.

There's still that part of me that's dying to see him lead a 5-0 stretch drive and at least one playoff win, which may or may not be enough to keep him around anyway.

What I would have done, post-Bengals: At the time, I said that I would play McNabb till they get to 6 losses, as that would eliminate them. No, I wouldn't have pulled him from the Ravens game, despite the poor preceding game and a half. But still, I'll stick to my plan to put Kolb in once they get to 6 losses and that damned tie, even if that means doing so after next Sunday, if they go down to the Giants.

Path to the playoffs? Even if they beat the Giants - no mean feat, as they say - they're probably at least 5-1 to win out. And if they make it to 10-5-1, they probably are still 5-1 or so to make the playoffs

Okay, enough insomnia-inspired chatter...enjoy the day, and respond if/when you like.
Matt

From: Jeff
Subject: It goes well!
To: Matt
Date: Monday, December 1, 2008, 11:46 AM

Everything good here, including another gluttonous Turkey Day! But what are you doing writing this at 4-something in the morning?! Sports-related emails shouldn’t be keeping you up – that’s your little boy’s job!

But, to respond:

College Football: Knowledge and interest will remain limited until they finally do the sport justice and switch to a playoff system. Otherwise, my preference for the title game will remain the “forgotten” undefeated schools, such as Boise State (yet again), Utah, and Ball State.

Flyers: I can’t argue with your Flyers’ assessment. Too many holes on defense (offseason subtractions like Jason Smith seem to hurt) and not one really feared offensive player, though Gagne has recovered nicely and Carter finally showing signs of living up to his potential. But is it just me or whenever they get to a shootout, it feels like you can chalk it up as another loss?

Sixers: I’m most disappointed with them so far. I had them as a near 50-win team going into the season. Perhaps there was a reason that teams with Brand never won in the past. They seem utterly confused on offense right now. Iguadala seems like he never recovered mentally after his atrocious showing in the playoffs and doesn’t have that confidence/swagger about him anymore. Cheeks’ rotation is inconsistent – I believe he needs to give his bench shooters (Rush, Marshall, et al) more PT, since no one else CAN shoot! I also agree that Iggy seems out of place at the 2. But Young fits well at the 3 and seems to have more upside at this point. So what can be done other than a trade? And we just overpaid him with an undeserved contract extension in the offseason (ghost of Billy King?)!

Eagles: Reid’s dismissal would be about three years overdue at this point. If McNabb plays like he did on Thursday – mainly, staying cool in the pocket and trusting his mobility (i.e., running when necessary to keep the D on its toes), then I can feel comfortable sticking with him.

However, the chances of that happening are not very good. And I’m one who believes Big Red and his playcalling is a big part of what’s holding Donovan back from doing what he used to do and still can do.

Yes, last week was fun to watch, but long overdue. Call a game similar to that all season and I have no doubt the Birds are probably 9-3 – at least – right now. Poor offensive execution and playcalling was their main Achilles Heal in losses to the Bears, Redskins and the tie to the Bengals (also with the Ravens, but that was an across-the-board disappointment). Poor decision-making late in the game to the Giants and Cowboys also cost them.

Frankly, Phillies hot-stove talk could turn out to be the most optimistic chatter this winter! Any thoughts on that?
J-
P.S.: Get some sleep!

From: Matt
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2008 9:48 PM
To: Jeff Subject:
Re: It goes well!

Well...the little boy keeps me up once in awhile, when my own insomnia isn't.
Quick replies on selected responses:

NCAA-F: Absolutely, a playoff system is needed, and just like w/ March Madness, I'd like more of the little guys and mid-major types (a la that strange team w/ the blue turf) to have more of a shot than they get at either)

Hockey - Yeah, they aren't too good at the ol' shootout, even that memorable one against the Pens when Biron was brilliant, but they still lost.

Sixers -- Well said. Perhaps, Iggy would flourish better elsewhere...but you're right, what can we get back w/ that huge salary of his?

Phils -- I can live w/ Burrell leaving, if we make a commitment to spend that $ wisely. Werth, Victorino and who do you think in left? How worried are you about Chase's hip?

Sleep? Yeah, occasionally.

From: Jeff
Subject: RE: It goes well!
To: Matt
Date: Tuesday, December 2, 2008, 9:15 PM

Pretty much slim pickens in the outfield free agent market (in fact, I believe Slim Pickens is available right now). Seems the best fit would be Raul Ibanez. He’s older, but we can probably get him for cheap. He still has some pop and apparently is a good locker room guy. I also like Felipe Lopez as a solid utility guy, but he’s been a starter for the past five years and may not be amenable to a lesser role at this time.

I also keep hearing about the Phils’ interest in A.J. Burnett and Derek Lowe – I’d be ecstatic with either. Burnett gives the team a power pitcher presence (more reliable than Myers, too) and Lowe simply keeps the ball down. Pick up those three and maybe one more reliable reliever and they could be primed for a repeat!

No comments: