Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Nice guy finishes last; Cheeks says goodbye

Three days after the Ed Stefanski fired him, Maurice Cheeks thanked the media and fans during a morning press conference at the Wachovia Center.

Cheeks was jettisoned as Sixers on Saturday after the team dropped eight of 10 games and was replaced by assistant general manager and Stefanski confidant, Tony DiLeo.

“Things don’t always work out the way you expect them to,” Cheeks said. “I take solace in the fact I did the best I could.”

Cheeks said he was open to another position with the organization and is expected to stick around.

“I think it would have been selfish for me to just pick up and leave and go and not show my appreciation to the people that have supported me,” Cheeks said. “I pretty much grew up in this town.

“I’ve been a part of this town a long time and I don’t plan on going anywhere. If the opportunity is there for me to be in the organization, I’m more than happy to do that.”

No comments: