Monday, August 23, 2010

Union fall flat in D.C.

-Courtesy of Philadelphia Union

Washington, DC (August 22, 2010) – Philadelphia Union's road struggles continued Sunday, with a 2-0 loss to D.C. United extending the club's winless streak to six matches. A defensive miscue led to forward Danny Allsopp's first goal, and the Australian tallied again in the second half to put the match out of reach on a rain-soaked afternoon at RFK Stadium.

The Union’s first chance to open their account came in the sixth minute when Fred carried the ball into DC’s territory along the right endline, sending a cross to Sebastien Le Toux 15 yards away from goal. The Frenchman took it inside before firing a shot right at goalkeeper Bill Hamid, who was able to stifle the attempt and keep the match scoreless.

Despite controlling the tempo early, Philadelphia were plagued by a defensive lapse yet again, with a failed clearance by Danny Califf leading to 1-0 deficit. Following a cross from rookie Andy Najar, the Union captain tripped while attempting to clear the ball at the top of the six-yard box, leaving Allsopp with an easy opportunity to capitalize. The striker made no mistake, finding an opening to Chris Seitz’s right and slotting it home to put United up 1-0 in the 22nd minute.

The skies opened up at RFK Stadium following the goal, putting possession at a premium and making it difficult for either side to mount a cohesive attack. The Union nearly overcame the elements in the 42nd minute, though, when Califf headed a Justin Mapp corner in the direction of the goal, but the attempt deflected off of Fred and away from danger.

Both sides were able to create chances early on in the second half with the rain cleared, but neither could convert. Philadelphia had the first chance in the 52nd minute after Le Toux and striker Danny Mwanga combined at the top of the area, but the rookie’s through ball to an onrushing Michael Orozco Fiscal failed to connect. On the other end, Santino Quaranto attempted to bend a ball within the far post from the left corner of the box, but his shot was inches wide of the target in the 56th minute.

United would find their insurance goal in the 63rd minute, however, with Allsopp tallying again off a wide-open shot from within the area. After dribbling down the right touchline, Najar sent a low cross to Allsopp, who was streaking down the middle of the field unmarked. Allsopp calmly took a touch towards goal before beating a diving Seitz from 12 yards out with his left foot to put United up 2-0.

The Union were unable to pull within a goal the rest of the match, leaving the club just two points ahead of United for last-place in the Eastern Conference. Philadelphia will return to action Saturday, August 28 in New England, before returning home Wednesday, September 1 to face Chivas de Guadalajara at PPL Park.

Scoring Summary:

DCU – Danny Allsopp 3 (Unassisted) 22’
DCU – Danny Allsopp 4 (Andy Najar 1) 63’

Misconduct Summary:

DC -- Jed Zayner (caution; Reckless Foul) 70
DC -- Julius James (caution; Tactical Foul) 92+

Philadelphia Union -- Chris Seitz, Juan Diego Gonzalez, Danny Califf, Michael Orozco Fiscal, Jordan Harvey, Sebastien Le Toux, Eduardo Coudet (Kyle Nakazawa 59), Stefani Miglioranzi, Fred (Nick Zimmerman 69), Alejandro Moreno (Justin Mapp 16), Danny Mwanga.

Substitutes Not Used: Cristian Arrieta, Andrew Jacobson, Amobi Okugo, Brad Knighton.


D.C. United -- Bill Hamid, Jed Zayner, Dejan Jakovic, Julius James, Marc Burch, Andy Najar, Branko Boskovic (Stephen King 65), Clyde Simms (Kurt Morsink 78), Santino Quaranta, Danny Allsopp (Jaime Moreno 83), Pablo Hernandez.

Substitutes Not Used: Adam Cristman, Devon McTavish, Barry Rice, Troy Perkins.


Referee: Alex Prus
Referee's Assistants: Craig Lowry; Eric Proctor
4th Official: Jorge Gonzalez

Time of Game: 1:52
Attendance: 12,165

Weather: Cloudy-and-83-degrees

No comments: