Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Mwanga earns MLS Goal of the Week

Philadelphia Union forward and #1 overall SuperDraft pick Danny Mwanga's game tying goal in the 93rd minute against FC Dallas was voted the Major League Soccer AT&T Goal of the Week for Week 8. Mwanga's first career goal, which allowed Philadelphia Union to remain undefeated at home, received 39% of the MLS fan vote.

"I am very proud to receive this award," explained Mwanga prior to today's training session.  "Especially because that was my first career goal and the one that helped my team not to lose that game.  Scoring that goal with that much time left in the game was something very special for me.  And I have to thank my teammates and coaches for it because I wouldn't have been able to do it without their help."

A late push from Union fans seemed to make the difference, as Mwanga edged Seattle Sounders striker Fredy Montero, who garnered 35%. FC Dallas attacker Brek Shea picked up 13%, followed by Chicago's Julio Martinez (10%) and Kansas City's Kei Kamara (2%).

No comments: