Monday, March 19, 2007

March Madness Diary

By Jared Trexler
The Phanatic Magazine

For how boring Thursday and Friday truthfully were in the NCAA Tournament, the lack of shock resulted in spectacular shot making and down-to-the-wire contests between great teams carried by great players over the weekend.

Perhaps, for the first time this century, the cream truly rose to the top. All four top seeds -- not without Ron Lewis' heroics and Tyler Hansbrough save the mask -- advanced to the Sweet 16, with just second-seeded Wisconsin the only of the top eight seeded clubs not left standing.

That leaves us with high-quality teams led by high-quality coaches managing high-quality players. I'm no mathematician, but that should equal some quality games come Thursday.

Until then, let's recap the Saturday-Sunday action. All friends, family and others have been given nicknames to protect their identity.

Saturday

1. Three pool sheets sit in front of me as Xavier-Ohio State are about to tip. One is "my" pool -- we'll call that the "expert" pool. The other bracket will be aptly dubbed "Lipton", while the final pool is a blank bracket to correctly keep track of the action.

2. Ohio State-Xavier tip off in Lexington. "Lipton's" pool has the Buckeyes cutting down the nets, while I have Oden's crew falling to Acie Law and Texas A&M in the Elite Eight. I suddenly find myself cheering for Justin Doellman and Drew Lavender.

3. Napoli Pizza in Brick, New Jersey has the best subs. Seriously, you can't find a quarter pound of meat and cheese lathered in oil and vinegar placed atop fresh baked bread in this area. I haven't finished a sandwich there yet because of their size. Back to the action...

4. Halftime in Lexington. Buckeyes only up 4. I've swayed half of the room into Musketeer Nation. I've attempted to remain neutral, if only to save me from costly harm.

5. Did anyone see that Rock-Paper-Scissors commercial? Guy throws out paper, and the other guy literally throws a rock. Now I know why high-ranking advertising gurus make such good money.

6. Speaking of good money, I'm seeing some in my future as Doellman comes alive and Justin Cage can't miss -- until later. Xavier builds a nine-point lead with three minutes left and Cage hasn't missed (8-of-8) from the floor.

7. Cheers from the peanut gallery -- "Lipton's brother". "Let's go Xavier!" "Let's go Xavier!" I'm silent on the outside, joining in the cheers inside.

8. All hell breaking out in Lexington. Two-point game and Cage about to take the line. "Lipton's" pool about to join the bonfire I built in my head. She can't even watch. I can -- quietly smiling.

9. Cage, who again hasn't missed a field goal all game, misses the second of two free throws. I'm guessing Xavier coach Sean Miller will order a foul -- up three against a deadly outside shooting team in the final seconds. Instead, Lewis chucks up a 30-foot prayer that is answered. I close my eyes in anguish, knowing full well the Buckeyes will roll in OT. "Lipton" executes a bicycle kick the Karate Kid would be proud of in happiness. Her bracket is saved.

10. A break in the action for some St. Patrick's Day shopping. Maryland falls to Butler, and my Final Four club Texas A&M is in a battle with Louisville. Several calls are placed to Nate, my biological sibling. He keeps me abreast of the action. "Lipton" gets wind the Aggies are down, she cackles in pleasure.

11. "Lipton" takes time out to plan the night's festivities. I'm left to screaming at the TV -- "Give the ball to Law!!!" They do just enough, and Cardinals guard Edgar Sosa makes several critical errors in the final minute. Aggies win, and the "expert" bracket is still going strong.

12. Believe it or not, both "Lipton" and the "expert" picked Vandy, so Shan Foster and Keith Byars draining threes is no news to us. VCU's Sweet 16 dream, again identical on our brackets, ends to Pitt. I theorize that "Lipton" copied my bracket, only to realize seconds later that was impossible.

13. Night games: North Carolina-Michigan State and Indiana-UCLA. I watch the first half as I throw on a shirt with some jeans. "Lipton" is ready to roll -- and we are off, minus any knowledge of college hoops.

14. Upon arriving at one of "Lipton's" best friend's house, I suck down some Jager and Red Bull -- a decision I would pay dearly for later. Another UNC fan arrives and flips on the game -- North Carolina's eight-point halftime lead is gone and the Spartans pull in front with just over eight minutes to play.

15. I listen to the remaining minutes in a taxi with "Cab Driver A", a nice lady with a heavy foot. Simma down "Cab Driver A"! North Carolina holds on, and UCLA wins once the drinks start flowing that evening.

Sunday

1. What really is March Madness? I'm starting to think it was the previous night's festivities, and not this 64-team NCAA hoops tournament.

2. "Lipton" is prepared for another day of hoops, which reminds me of a great story about the NCAA Tournament. On Thursday night, in a conversation with five other hoops junkies, we each admitted our girlfriend's/significant others were beating us in the bracket.

Logic for picking teams?
1. Sororities
2. Colors
3. Schools my friends go to
4. Research, yes, research. "Lipton" did her homework. On the record, Ohio State pulled through against Xavier in large part to upperclassmen Lewis and Jamar Butler. "Lipton" calls that team chemistry.

3. The first game is pivotal. Virginia-Tennessee. "Lipton" insists she meant to pick "Virginia" instead of writing "Albany." Despite pleas for understanding, the loss stands. A guy needs to play tough when he is on the ropes...

4. The day goes as well as expected for me. Tennessee gives me an edge, as does Oregon and Southern Illinois. "Lipton" picks up Memphis and still leads 46 points to 45 points after the first weekend.

5. On a final note, what if my national champion (North Carolina) and "Lipton's" national champion (Ohio State) meet in the national semifinals? We discussed the possibility in length, agreeing that I would go into seclusion or maybe ship her on a week's vacation to the Virgin Islands (kidding). For all guys out there, how would you handle the situation?

6. On one last final note, this is why I love March Madness. "Lipton" went from hoops novice to bicycle kicks in four days. Two co-workers, "Red Hair" and "Yellow Shirt" are overheard discussing Kansas' chances at the Monday morning water cooler.

May the Sweet 16 be just as sweet -- not for "Lipton," but for the expert.
------
You can reach Jared Trexler at jtrexler@phanaticmag.com

No comments: