Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Flyers sign van Riemsdyk to extension

The Philadelphia Flyers locked up a key component of their existing young core on Tuesday afternoon, signing forward James van Riemsdyk to a multi-year contract extension.

Terms of the deal were not immediately announced, but the 22-year-old revealed via his Twitter account that it is for six years, while multiple reports confirm that it is worth $25.5 million with a $4.25 million cap hit per year.

A native of New Jersey, van Riemsdyk posted career highs of 21 goals and 40 points in 75 games for Philly during his sophomore season. He added seven goals in 11 playoff contests.

“I couldn’t be happier, obviously," van Riemsdyk said on a conference call to announce the new deal. "Over the two years I’ve been here, and even prior to that when I was with the organization,  I’ve seen how well they treat their players and how highly everyone around it talks about it.  Even before I signed, Jim Dowd was actually telling me how lucky I was to be coming to the Flyers and how well they treat their players, and I’ve seen that first-hand.  When these talks of an extension started to come up, that was in the back of my mind, and I knew this was the place I really wanted to be.”


A product of the University of New Hampshire and second-overall pick of the Flyers in 2007, van Riemsdyk has posted 36 goals ans 75 point over 153 regular-season appearances. The speedy winger has also contributed 10 goals and 13 points in 32 playoff games.

No comments: