Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Eagles training camp report - Day 1

The Rundown:

·         Jon Tamari provides information on the injury to G/T Todd Herremans, as well as highlights from the morning practice featuring rookies and selected vets in Bird’s Eye View

·         Les Bowen discusses DE Brandon Graham’s contract status in his Eagletarian blog

·         Ryan Wixted of PhillyBurbs.com lists five things to watch at training camp this year in 4th and 26

·         Rookie safety Kurt Coleman impresses Sean McDermott at morning practice, according to Geoff Mosher in his blog Wing Tips and Bo Wulf on PhiladelphiaEagles.com’s Bloghead

·         Bleeding Green Nation says QB Kevin Kolb looked impressive in his training camp debut

Birdwatching

·         Eagles QB Kevin Kolb appeared on FOX 29’s “Good Day” this morning and discussed how he is looking forward to playing with so much young talent .

Birds flock back to the nest

Former Eagles RB Duce Staley and LB Shawn Barber have rejoined the Eagles, this time as training camp coaching interns. Barber spent two seasons (2002, 2006) with the Eagles, and appeared in 29 games during that span. Staley carried the ball in the Eagles’ backfield for seven seasons (1997-2003).

 ·         As an Eagle, Staley played in 98 games (64 starts) and amassed 4,807 rushing yards, 2,498 yards receiving 32 combined touchdowns. He ranks fourth on the Eagles all-time rushing list. “It’s a good feeling, just to be able to come up here and work with the guys,” said Staley. “As soon as I stepped outside the Varsity House, I remembered stepping out of that place as a rookie and of course I was shaking and shivering. All the memories—the good times and the bad times—come back as soon as you come back and visit.”

·         In 2002, Barber’s first season with the team, he started in all 16 games and posted 71 tackles, one sack, two forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries and one interception, which he returned 81 yards for a touchdown. Barber rejoined the team in 2006, seeing action in 13 games, posting 33 tackles, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery. Barber told Reuben Frank of the Burlington County Times,”When I played, I didn't really think about becoming a coach, but I always loved to learn about all the positions, not just my own, and really develop an overall knowledge of the defense. One of the things coach Reid told me was if I went into coaching to not just focus on one area but learn everything. So while I'm here I want to spend a few days with each position and soak up as much knowledge as I can."

Five Things You Didn’t Know About…

WR Riley Cooper

1.       An accomplished outfielder, was drafted in the 15th round by the Philadelphia Phillies in 2006. “Initially, the Phillies said they were going to draft me with their first pick, the 13th overall pick, in the 2006 draft out of high school. I told them that I was going to the University of Florida to get an education and to play both football and baseball. I feel that an education is very important.”

2.       Growing up, worked for his father Larry on his family’s farm. “We had a farm in Clearwater, so I helped out around the farm for my dad. My family would ride the horses and I was the one who had to clean up after them.”

3.       As a kid was a fan of John Lynch and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. “I always looked up to John as a kid. I just liked the way he carried himself on and off the field. We had season tickets for about 15-20 years, so I was always watching him play.”

4.       Enjoys outdoor activities including hunting and fishing. “My dad got me into fishing when I was real young. We had a small boat and we would go out on weekends when I didn’t have games.”

5.       Favorite meal is fried chicken, mashed potatoes and white country gravy.

Eagles Flight Night!

Eagles Flight Night! Exclusive Logo Bandz Offer Begins Today!

For a limited time only, fans who purchase four or more tickets to Eagles Flight Night on August 5 at Lincoln Financial Field will receive 20 Eagles Logo Bandz to wear and trade! Eagles Flight Night offers a full practice, along with Eagles Cheerleaders, Pep Band, SWOOP, random giveaways and prizes, and fireworks finale!  This exclusive offer started today, Tuesday, July 27 at 10am and will end on Thursday, July 29th at midnight. For tickets and information, log onto www.philadelphiaeagles.com or call 215-463-5500.

Upcoming Schedule:

·         Tomorrow's practice times - 8:45 am &  3:30 pm

No comments: