Thursday, September 20, 2007

Campbell, Young chime in on McNabb comments

-Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell


"Early in my career in college, I felt like people looked at me differently and expected a lot more," Campbell told the Washington Times. "I felt I had to do a little extra. At that point, I did feel that way. I don't feel that way now in the NFL.

"That's his opinion, and as an African-American quarterback, I have to support other African-American quarterbacks," Campbell added. "But it's something I can't get caught up in. I look at all quarterbacks as the same. I support every guy who's playing the position.

"It's the hardest position to play in professional sports, and you get graded differently than any other position on the field. Nine times out of 10 the ball is in your hands, so everybody is watching you. Since you're in the spotlight, the mistakes get recognized. You need thick skin and a short memory."

-Titans quarterback Vince Young

"I really feel like myself, black or white quarterbacks, we all go through something because that is the life of a quarterback,'' Young told the Nashville Tennessean. "You have to be able to handle all the pressure and you have to be able to handle the losses and you have to be able to handle the media saying this about you.If you can't handle it, then you have to get off that position and go play something else."

No comments: