Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Flyers' Richards will need wrist surgery

Embattled Flyers captain Mike Richards will need surgery on his injured wrist, according to club general manager Paul Holmgren.

Holmgren revealed the news during his end-of-season news conference and said Richards has been bothered by the injury since training camp.

Holmgren also revealed that four additional players will need offseason surgery: D Andrej Meszaros (wrist); forwards Kris Versteeg (stomach muscle) and Blait Betts (finger) along with goaltender Michael Leighton (hip).

Both Jeff Carter and Scott Hartnell will be evaluated further to see if they need hip surgery.

Meanwhile, defenseman Chris Pronger hinted he will need surgery to repair a herniated disc in his ailing back.

“It’ll actually be my fourth [surgery in a year]," Pronger said on a conference call Monday.  "I had my knee, my hand and my foot.  I don’t know if it’s to that point or not.  I’ve got to see what the doctors see, what their recommendations are, and then weigh the pros and cons to whatever it is that we decide to do, and go from there.”

No comments: