Friday, September 19, 2008

Hatcher to start season on IR

Courtesy of the Philadelphia Flyers

Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren on Thursday afternoon updated the condition of defenseman Derian Hatcher.

Holmgren announced that Hatcher will begin the year on injured reserve and not be on the ice when training camp begins on Saturday.

"Derian's injury situation is something that has been talked about quite a bit this summer. He has been seen by our team doctors a number of times. Today, we are announcing that Derian will not be a player for the start of the season. He will be on the injured reserve list.

"Due to the class and character of Derian, we believe that it is important to continue to let Derian try to make his way back and we will give him as much time as he feels necessary to make a decision, if in fact, a decision is coming in terms of retirement. As of right now he still wants to play. Presently, our doctors don't believe he can. But as I stated, because we are talking about Derian Hatcher and what he has meant to our organization, we feel that allowing him this time to work his way back is the right thing to do. We will see how it goes."

Hatcher responded:

"It's tough. Basically, the doctors are saying that for me to try and play isn't fair to my body and it isn't fair to me. They are afraid that I will end up hurting something else like blowing out my hip, or something like that.

"But, we'll see. I've talked to Paul numerous times this summer and I've talked to him in the past few days. We both agree that I should be placed on IR and see what happens. "It (the knee) doesn't feel great. There no question about that. But, like I said, it is one of those things that you just have to wait and see.

"I talked to Paul and we both felt that this was the best thing to do. If I felt that this was the best thing to do at this time, that means I do believe there is a little bit of a ray of hope. Only time will tell here."

No comments: