Monday, February 25, 2013

Eagles release Patterson

PHILADELPHIA – It's not a good day for veteran defensive tackles in South Philadelphia.

Hours after releasing Cullen Jenkins the Eagles waived goodbye to Mike Patterson after an eight-year career in Philly.


“Mike Patterson is one of the toughest players I have ever been around in the National Football League,” said Eagles general manager Howie Roseman. “He has overcome many obstacles throughout his career and I have the utmost respect for him because of it.

"Coach (Chip) Kelly and I each had great conversations with him today. He is a class act. He gave this organization eight great seasons of hard work and dedication and we wish him all the best as he continues his career in this league.”

The team’s first round draft pick in 2005 out of the University of Southern California, Patterson was the team’s longest-tenured player. The 29-year-old played in 115 games (99 starts) at defensive tackle for the Eagles and compiled 551 tackles, 16.5 sacks, four forced fumbles and seven fumble recoveries.

Patterson owns the Eagles franchise record for longest fumble return for a touchdown with a 98-yard return at San Francisco on September 24, 2006.

“I want to thank the fans for all of their support over eight years in Philadelphia," Patterson said. "It is never easy to say goodbye to a fan base that supported me no matter what. My goal was to come to work every day to try and make the Philadelphia Eagles the best organization we could be.

"The Eagles organization has treated me and my family with nothing but respect since the day I was drafted and I wish Mr. Lurie, Howie, the new coaches and all of my teammates all the best going forward. I will miss them all and I will always have a place in my heart for the Eagles and for the city of Philadelphia.”

No comments: