Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Lieber to the bullpen

By Jared Trexler
The Phanatic Magazine

As expected, Jon Lieber is the odd man out -- shipped to a bullpen as unstable as the right-hander's future with the Phillies.

Manager Charlie Manuel made the announcement Wednesday that the 37-year-old sinker-baller will start the season in the bullpen with Adam Eaton in the rotation.

Lieber then voiced his frustration.

"Yeah I'm disappointed," Lieber told the Philadelphia Daily News. "I'd be lying if I said I wasn't. I'm going to do it for those guys in there, but obviously I think I can still start. It stinks. I signed here to be a starter."

And a starter Lieber has been for the Phillies, winning 26 games over the last two seasons. He was especially effective after the All-Star break in 2006, when the Phillies made their push for the playoffs.

The right-hander was 5-2 with a 3.66 ERA from August 11 until season's end.

However, with the acquisition of Freddy Garcia via trade from the White Sox and the offseason $24 million signing of Adam Eaton, the Phillies have six starters for just five spots.

A good problem to have if you can turn a surplus into another need, but reports have stated that teams haven't impressed General Manager Pat Gillick with offers, and Gillick said just this week he plans to keep Lieber as Opening Day approaches.

No comments: