Saturday, June 27, 2015

Sixers introduce Okafor

PHILADELPHIA - The latest centerpiece of Sam Hinkie's consistently pushed back rebuilding plan was unveiled Saturday at PCOM.

Big man Jahlil Okafor, the No. 3 overall pick  in Thursday's NBA draft, was introduced, along with the second-round selections that have a chance to see league action this season, Richaun Holmes and J.P. Tokoto.

The Duke product immediately affirmed he wasn't in Philadelphia to lose, something that has become second nature to the organization during Hinkie's tenure which has been built on tanking in order to acquire players like Okafor, a true low-post threat with the footwork of a 15-year veteran.

"Winning has always been my main focus," Okafor said. "I have always hated losing. I am a sore loser. I do not take losing well. I have always been about winning because I have been winning my entire life."

Winning will have to wait a little while here, however, as Hinkie continues to slowly add talent to a roster that was stripped bare and still lacks competent guards as well as wing players.

"I am excited to be here, and start winning some games," Okafor said. "I have already walked around the city. I can see that the fans are so excited and so enthusiastic. It makes you feel really good, and you can't imagine what it will be like when we start winning."

Like most upper echelon players in this draft, Okafor wanted nothing to do with the Sixers organization and an NBA source confirmed to The Phanatic Magazine that his agent, Bill Duffy, did call the team Thursday asking it not select his client.

Okafor and his father, who was at the introductory press conference, both denied that but the die is cast now and while Okafor would have preferred Los Angeles or New York, he's not the kind of kid who is going to sulk.

"No, we didn't do any of that," Okafor claimed when asked about his agent's maneuverings. "We were just trying to figure out where I was going to go. We raised the question that we didn't know which team I was going to end up with, but we knew Philadelphia was one of the possibilities."

No comments: