Monday, June 29, 2015

MacPhail set to take over as Phillies team president

PHILADELPHIA - The worst kept secret in Major League Baseball was unveiled this afternoon when the Phillies officially appointed Andy MacPhail as the team's next president.

For now MacPhail, 62, will serve as a special assistant to current prez Pat Gillick for the remainder of the season.

Gillick will retire at season's end, leaving MacPhail to oversee the entire organization, both its business and baseball operations.

"I'm going to do everything I can to take advantage of the experience and intellect of the man on my left (Gillick), who is deservedly in the Hall of Fame," MacPhail said at an introductory press conference. "I'd be a fool if I were to ignore that advice."

MacPhail won two different World Series as general manager of the Minnesota Twins in 1987 and 1991 and also served as president for both the Chicago Cubs and Baltimore Orioles.

"I am very pleased to join the Phillies. I look forward to helping this organization bring championship caliber baseball back to Philadelphia. That is what the city and its terrific fans deserve," MacPhail said.

The Phillies currently have the worst record in MLB and Ryne Sandberg stepped down as manager last week with Pete Mackanin serving as interim manager. General manager Ruben Amaro Jr., meanwhile, is in the final season of his deal.

No comments: