Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Rollins, Rowand win Gold Gloves

-Courtesy of Philadelphia Phillies

Shortstop Jimmy Rollins and center fielder Aaron Rowand were among the ten National League players that won Rawlings Gold Glove Awards for the 2007 season. It was the first time for both players.

Rollins, 28, started all 162 Phillies games this season and finished third among NL shortstops with a .985 fielding percentage, committing only 11 errors in 717 total chances. He also ranked second in total chances and assists (479) and third in putouts (227) and doubleplays (110).

“It’s definitely an honor anytime you can get a postseason accolade,” said Rollins. “Defense is a big part of my game and something that I pride myself in. For years, I’ve felt that my teammates and my peers have known that I’m a good defensive player and it’s great to finally get recognized by the managers and coaches.”

With his win, Rollins became the fourth shortstop in Phillies history to win a Rawlings Gold Glove – and first in 29 years – following Bobby Wine (1963), Ruben Amaro Sr. (1964) and Larry Bowa (1972, 1978).

Rowand, 30, made 155 starts in center field this past season, second-most in the NL behind only Juan Pierre (160). Rowand led all NL center fielders with 11 assists, which was the fifth-highest total among all NL outfielders and committed just two errors in 405 total chances. He is the third Phillies outfielder to win the award. Garry Maddox won eight (1975-82) and Bobby Abreu one (2005).

“Obviously, I take a lot of pride in playing defense,” said Rowand. “I’ve strived to be the best my entire career and – other than a World Championship – it’s the one thing I’ve wanted more than anything else. To be recognized by the managers and coaches – the people that watch you play every day – is the greatest compliment I can get.”

The 2007 season marks the first time the Phillies have had multiple Gold Glove Award winners since 1982, when Maddox (of), Mike Schmidt (3b) and Manny Trillo (2b) all won.

No comments: