Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Phillies' Galvis tests positive for PED


Phillies rookie infielder Freddy Galvis was suspended 50 games by Major League Baseball on Tuesday for testing positive for a banned substance.

Galvis is currently on the disabled list with a back injury and will begin serving his suspension immediately.

MLB said Galvis tested positive for a metabolite of Clostebol, a synthetic anabolic steroid that is derivative of testosterone.

Clostebol is considered a weak anabolic steroid which was used by athletes from the German Democratic Republic (East Germany). It is a version of testosterone that is chlorinated so as to prevent conversion to DHT while also rendering the chemical incapable of conversion to estrogen.

"A trace amount of a banned substance -- 80 parts in a trillion -- was detected in my urine sample, Galvis said in a statement released by the MLBPA. "I am extremely disappointed in what has transpired. I cannot understand how even this tiny particle of a banned substance got into my body.

"I have not and never would knowingly use anything illegal to enhance my performance.  I have always tried to follow the team’s strength and conditioning methods, listen to the trainers, work out hard and eat right.  Unfortunately, the rules are the rules and I will be suspended.

"I’d like to apologize to my all my fans especially here in Philadelphia and back home in Venezuela, to my teammates and to the Phillies organization. I am looking forward to putting this behind me, rehabilitating my back and returning to the Phillies as soon as possible to try to help them win another World Series."

No comments: