Friday, June 29, 2012

Laperriere officially joins Flyers front office

Courtesy of the Philadelphia Flyers

The Philadelphia Flyers announced today that they have named Ian Laperriere to the post of Director of Player Development, according to general manager Paul Holmgren.

“We are pleased to add Ian to our staff as Director of Player Development,” Holmgren said.  “Ian will work closely with all of our young prospects in the system from skill development to fitness to nutrition. We feel that Ian’s experiences and enthusiasm for life and the game of hockey make him the perfect man for this important role.”

“It’s a job that suits me well,” Laperriere said.  “It’s one of those jobs that you need a relationship with the young guys and you need to have some experience, and I think I have both.  I’ve always been able to relate well with anybody, from 18 year old kids to 40-year-old veterans – it’s always been one of my strengths, so I’m going to use that with these young guys.  I’ll do the best I can to help all our prospects be successful.  It’s a challenge for me and I’m looking forward to it.”

Laperriere, 38, recently announced his retirement following a career that saw him play 1,083 games over 16 NHL seasons.  He signed with the Flyers as a free agent prior to the 2009-10 season and appeared in all 82 games that year, as well as 13 playoff games as the club went to the Stanley Cup Final.

Laperriere missed the last two seasons due to the aftereffects of an injury suffered in the first round of the 2010 playoffs, but has remained active within the organization working with the club’s prospects and doing television analysis on Comcast SportsNet.  Following the 2010-11 season, Laperriere won the Bill Masterton Trophy for his perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey.

No comments: