Monday, March 31, 2014

Stevens returns to action at Liacouras Center

Stevens in the Ring Against Majewski
Photo Credits:
Rich Graessle/Main Events
Philadelphia, PA: Curtis "Showtime" Stevens took a relaxing vacation after his first round knockout of Patrick "The Machine" Majewski on January 24 at Resorts in Atlantic City, NJ and now he is faster, stronger, rested and ready to take on Tureano Johnson Friday, April 4 at the Liacouras Center in Philadelphia, PA. Stevens, who vowed to stay busy this year, spent two weeks in Mexico and Jamaica following his fight at Resorts. However, even while he was having fun in the sun, he stayed in constant contact with Main Events' Matchmaker Jolene Mizzone, "While I was away Jolene kept in contact with me. She asked me if I wanted to fight and I told her I was off for two years so now I want to get right back into it. I wasn't playing around."

Stevens Against Findley
Photo Credits:  Rich Graessle/Main Events

Stevens, 29, just moved to a new place on the water in Queens and has been running stairs and on the beach as part of his new conditioning regime. He said, "I feel good. I have been training very hard. We wanted to make my legs stronger so I can get lower and weave his shots." However, Curtis does not think Tureano Johnson is going to be a problem for him. When asked about Johnson he said, "This guy likes to fight. He slaps a lot. He's got looping shots. But don't leave your seat when the TV lights come on because you might miss it. Don't blink. Have your popcorn and your soda ready beforehand because I am about to put on a spectacular showcase come April 4."

Showtime vs. Ayala
Photo Credits:  Rich Graessle/Main Events

When asked about fighting in Philadelphia, the Brooklyn native said, "Philly is the boxing capital so I am really excited to be fighting there. They like to fight in Philly and I love that. I have a lot of fans in Philly. I grew up with Karl 'Dynamite' Dargan, we were in the amateurs together, so I know all of his family. A lot of my fans from New York and Brooklyn are going to come out there and make the drive to show their support but I have fans in Philly too."

This will be Showtime's fifth Fight Night appearance and he is undefeated on the program (first round KO of Patrick Majewski on Jan. 24, first round KO of Saul Roman on August 3, 2013, eighth round UD over Derrick Findley on April 20, 2013 and first round KO of Elvin Ayala on January 19, 2013). When asked about fighting on Fight Night, Stevens replied, "I love NBC Sports. I love NBC because the world gets to see me. I am grateful to them for giving me the opportunity to perform for the whole world. Me and Cunningham were on Fight Night together when he fought Tyson Fury and I beat Derrick Findley so I am glad we get to share the spotlight again on Fight Night April 4."

Curtis Knocks Out Roman
Photo Credits:  Rich Graessle/Main Events

Main Events' CEO Kathy Duva said, "I love Curtis' attitude. There are few things better for a promoter than a fighter who will fight anyone, anywhere, anytime. Curtis has the heart of a champion, even if he doesn't have that belt just yet."  

Jolene Mizzone, Main Events' matchmaker said, "Fighting an up-and-coming undefeated opponent is always dangerous for a fighter so Curtis needs to be on point in order for him to get closer to a world title fight."

No comments: