Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Philadelphia's Chambers looking for fights

PHILADELPHIA—Welterweight contender Steve Upsher Chambers is looking for an opportunity to take on anyone in the Welterweight division.

Chambers of Philadelphia has a record 24-2-1 with six knockouts is looking to rebound from a disappointing eight round unanimous decision defeat to former world champion Luis Collazo on October 20th in Brooklyn, New York.

“Since the loss to Collazo I have been trying to get right back in the ring and for some reason it has been difficult to get a fight," said the twenty-seven year old native of Philadelphia.

“I fought a good fight off of a layoff without much southpaw sparring and I feel fought a close fight. Luis won the fight but I feel the scores should have been closer. I know I can put on a better performance and there are some guys out there that I know I can beat.

“I will fight anyone between 143 and 149 pounds and since I can’t get a fight I am forced to name guys specifically.

“Andre Berto is in need of a comeback fight but we were turned down and the kid from Canada Phil Lo Greco is a guy that is overrated so I know I can take his undefeated record away from him.

“We were signed to fight Josesito Lopez a couple years ago and then he allegedly got injured and somehow he wound up on a Pay Per View card a couple weeks later to fight Jesse Vargas. Speaking of Vargas, he is another undefeated guy I would love to fight.

“We called Top Rank for one of their prospects Mikael Zewski of Jose Benavidez Jr. DiBella has Gabriel Bracero or Danny O’Connor and I see Thomas Dulorme is looking to get back in the ring.

“We had the Sho Box fight with Alex Perez and then he bailed only to get knocked out on HBO.

“Keith Thurman called us on ten days’ notice but I would need more time to prepare for a challenge like that."

Since none of those guys want to step up, there are plenty of local fights that make sense.

“I will fight anybody that would like to fight me. A kid like Ronald Cruz would make for a great local fight.

“It’s just been disappointing that I have had a few TV fights signed and sealed but for whatever reason something falls through on the other end. I feel in 2013 it will be my year to shine, I just need the opportunity."

No comments: