Friday, July 29, 2011

Weaver released; Lloyd signed

The Eagles have agreed to terms with 7th round draft choice Greg Lloyd to a four-year contract. 

The 22-year old Lloyd (6-1, 247) started 23 games at middle linebacker at the University of Connecticut, amassing 177 tackles, three sacks and an interception. He earned second-team All-Big East honors following the 2009 season after starting 10 games and finishing second on the squad with a career-high 91 tackles and one sack. A native of Clermont, FL, Lloyd attended East Ridge High School, where he earned All-Central Florida honors. He is the son of former Steelers linebacker Greg Lloyd. 

As of now, the Eagles have inked 10 of their 11 draft picks, with only first round draft choice Danny Watkins remaining unsigned.

The team also jettisoned five players, including former Pro Bowl fullback Leonard Weaver, who suffered a  career-threatening knee injury last year on opening day.

The Weaver release sparked some controversy when he claimed that he learned the Eagles had released him earlier in the day when he was contacted by Comcast SportsNet’s Derrick Gunn.

“Hey there Eagles nation, I'm sorry to say but I just found out I was released by the Eagles,” Weaver Tweeted. “The kicker behind that is that the organization didn't call me and tell me. I had to find out by a reporter.

“Now I have mixed feeling about that because I gave everything I had to the organization, and I would think that they would at least call ... and let me know what was going on, but as I have learned over the years, fans, business is business. ... However, I wish the best for the Philadelphia Eagles.”

An Eagles spokesman responded later Thursday saying Weaver was informed by a team official that he was released before the information was released to the media. 

Weaver also Tweeted recently that his doctors already ruled him for 2011, but he does plan to return.

The Birds also released defensive tackle DT Jeremy Clark, cornerback Gerard Lawson, defensive tackle Jeff Owens, who failed his physical and wide receiver Jeremy Williams.

“I want to thank all of these players for their hard work and efforts during the course of their time in Philadelphia,” said general manager Howie Roseman. “I have a tremendous amount of respect for all of our players who battle through all of the highs and lows of playing in the National Football League. To see a guy like Leonard Weaver play in the Pro Bowl one year and suffer a devastating injury in the first game of the following year is especially tough. I wish all five men nothing but the best.”.

No comments: